Let's Talk Healthy BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I grew up eating fresh and healthy and that's always been my diet since then. I used to hate all the canning and freezing we did growing up, but sure appreciate that now.

I try to grill and or griddle veggies all of the time. I love meat and try to stick with the leaner cuts, for the most part. I used to think I trimmed too much fat during prep, but I really think that goes a long way with healthy cooking. Like everything, moderation is the key.

My biggest issue, if it is an issue, is I like beer and at times more than I probably need. I try to hit the gym at least 3 times a week, and that seems to workday for me.

Heck, did a personal best benching 370 last week. Not too bad for 57. Of course, later in the day I cracked open an IPA and started with dinner.:emoji_astonished:

Reactions: TH-n-PA
I loved my last dr., he would always walk into the room and ask how the smoking was going...as in meat. He didn't give me a hard time about the cigs, but always interested in what I'd been curing or smoking.

Ryan

Reactions: TH-n-PA
There are a few things I personally still like salt on but most of the time I don't miss it at all. Now if we go out to eat or have take out on a rare occasion I swear that's all I taste. its crazy how much sodium is in stuff nowadays.
I've noticed a similar thing with sugar when cutting out sugar/carbs. It seems like most things processed(and a lot of restaurant stuff) have sugar added and once you cut out sugar from your diet you immediately taste the sweetness when you eat it in stuff you wouldn't expect it to be in like certain brands of Ranch dressing, etc.

Interesting thread. Like several have mentioned, so many options with different aspects working better for some. I try to avoid processed foods. I also do the intermittent fasting and I am happy with the results. My question regarding the ‘health’ of smoked meat is-Doesn’t the slow cooking aspect of smoking that renders out fat make the meat leaner and therefore healthier?

That looks good Chris .

Never was a soda drinker . I bet I haven't had a soda in 25 years .
Haven't had a beer in 5 weeks and dropped 15 pounds .
Quit soda cold turkey. I was drinking 6 - 8 cans / bottles of diet Dr Pepper daily. Now it's almost all water. Occasionally I add Crystal Light or the like. Hardest part was getting over the caffeine addiction. But, I have gone from just over 200 pounds to just under 140.

...Doesn’t the slow cooking aspect of smoking that renders out fat make the meat leaner and therefore healthier?
Maybe, but we intentionally use "cuts" of meat that are fattier to start with. Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but gorge on what comes out of my machines. And so much of a good diet isn't so much what we eat but how much. Eating a pound of meat at a sitting and leaving the grains, fruits, and veggies go "to the next meal" is what's killing me I'm afraid.
Portion control is the key.

I usually forego any dessert...instead usually a third helping of mashed taters and gravy! I wouldn't follow me for healthy eating or dieting advice.

Ryan

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky