Let's Talk Healthy BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

McLoven1t562

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 26, 2014
Long Beach, California
Real quick, I hope this is a good spot for the topic. I also tried searching for related topics but only found a few threads showing off a healthier meal or two made on the grill.

Ultimately though I know bbq obviously isn't #1 on the healthy diet list lol, but we all know with reduced amounts of sugars, sodium, and maybe a few other key ingredients. You can still make some delicious meals while still incorporating the meats and sides we all love.

I'm currently 210 lbs and by no means overweight, but I most certainly could and recently have the desire to put more effort into watching what I eat.....course the downside is i'm also an extremely picky eater. I definitely plan on trying more fruits/vegetables and also various ways to prep them since bacon bits and syrup likely isn't the best way to eat brussel sprouts lol

ANYWAYS! I'm hoping maybe this could be a good thread where folks can chime in with their experiences, opinions, maybe even expertise? When it comes to tips & tricks for making healthier bbq meals. Share your recipes, links to your threads for meals that have been made and stuff like that.

If the thread is pointless and dies out today, well so be it....but I'm thinking positive and hope we get some great replies for many weeks to come :emoji_blush:

I think you brought up a great point. Wife and I have been discussing this lately as well. I am around the same as you 210-215. Not obese but could stand to drop a few lbs. Well her not so much weighing 107 lbs but me for sure lol. Been eating a lot more grilled fish, veggies from the garden, less fried foods, cutting out processed shit, etc... A good member who might could chime in would be jcam222 jcam222 as he posts some amazing sugar and carb free meals.

I think you brought up a great point. Wife and I have been discussing this lately as well. I am around the same as you 210-215. Not obese but could stand to drop a few lbs. Well her not so much weighing 107 lbs but me for sure lol. Been eating a lot more grilled fish, veggies from the garden, less fried foods, cutting out processed shit, etc... A good member who might could chime in would be jcam222 jcam222 as he posts some amazing sugar and carb free meals.
lol yea my biggest fight is trying to eliminate SODA, I usually have 2 or 3 cans a day. If I could drop that to 1 a day in the near future, that'd be a huge win..Then obviously knock it down further to like one or two a week! Next fight is less fast food visits and more bringing food with me to work:emoji_ok_hand:

I'll definitely check out JCam and his content, thanks for that share

I'm not sure what your definition of healthy is but this is fairly healthy. Especially if you make your own ingredients. Now me being the lazy slob that I am. I used store bought prepared ingredients. So it isn't as healthy as it could be.

Mexican Pizza
1657743488189.png

I was thinking you could substitute grilled pulled chicken for the burger also.

Chris

I'm not sure what your definition of healthy is but this is fairly healthy. Especially if you make your own ingredients. Now me being the lazy slob that I am. I used store bought prepared ingredients. So it isn't as healthy as it could be.

Mexican Pizza
lol I honestly had no idea there was a burger patty under that until I saw your reply post lower down. Yea that definitely looks like it could be a delicious meal. Also, I do know eliminating the white bread is already a bonus.

I'm definitely not talking "everything must meet X criteria" but for me it's even just the small stuff like making or buying a "low sugar" or "low sodium" rub and/or sauce. Feel like even the little changes are still changes and you add exercise and (yes I'm beginning PILATES) to the mix, that can have a significant effect on your body and how you feel........before anyone gives me crap, I have scoliosis and Pilates is supposed to help a lot.....I'm praying my class has all the hot ladies I've seen in yoga & pilate classes when I drive by ha ha

That looks good Chris .

Never was a soda drinker . I bet I haven't had a soda in 25 years .
Haven't had a beer in 5 weeks and dropped 15 pounds .
man you're lucky....my brother is smart and he doesn't let his kids drink Soda. Yea they have one very very rarely, but they by no means reach for a soda with any of their food. Unfortunately my parents weren't like that in the 90's, and of course as I grew up...I'd grab or buy whatever I wanted.

It's just a drink but I swear that caffeine and sugar is one hell of a drug to kick (upside is yea I almost never drink beer and haven't for the last couple years..I just randomly lost my interest in it. Now it's just a rare can of craft beer from time to time and I'm sipping on that sucker. Love waking up sober lol)

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Healthy is a loose term. Seems like a focus is needed. Less: fatty food, processed foods, sugar, fried, etc.

I lean towards moderating most foods. I dont like the idea of eliminating this or that. I just have to have a steak or cheese burger when the desire hits. Not into fake meat products at all. those or severely over processed crap. IMO only.

Hell Chris, not just healthy, that looks delicious!

If you want to go even healthier with carb free google "chicken pizza crust". The keto guys make a pizza crust out of chicken. Never personally done it but have heard great things from family and friends.
Now that is something I've never heard of before. I'll have to look it up.

That looks good Chris .

Never was a soda drinker . I bet I haven't had a soda in 25 years .
Haven't had a beer in 5 weeks and dropped 15 pounds .

Good for you Rich. I wish I could say the same. I'm starting to switch my soda drinking to flavored vitamin water, but I haven't been able to fully pull the plug out on soda yet. As for beer, well you know the beer pole has to stay employed when I Q'ing.

Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Healthy is a loose term. Seems like a focus is needed. Less: fatty food, processed foods, sugar, fried, etc.

I lean towards moderating most foods. I dont like the idea of eliminating this or that. I just have to have a steak or cheese burger when the desire hits. Not into fake meat products at all. those or severely over processed crap. IMO only.

Yea I didn't really want to make it too lengthy (tho I did ramble on a bit lol) or detailed. I rather it be a broad-based topic since we all have different ideas of what healthy food really is and means. I'm just talking the obvious though, meals that don't have thousands of carbs, or a ton of starches, incorporating veggies and fruits with meats. Recommending the leaner cuts....Me personally, folks who can steer me towards things like seafood that don't taste "fishy" would be great. I love Salmon and Yellow Fin Tuna so far, but there are still a million other creatures to try lol -- personally hate quacmole/avacado yet I've barely ever tried any lol......the rental I moved into this weekend has a tree though, so I definitely want to try various way to use Avacado's since they're free in my yard :P

.my brother is smart and he doesn't let his kids drink Soda.
It's possible that my kids have never had a soda . Never gave it to them as kids , and they drink water all the time .

As for beer, well you know the beer pole has to stay employed when I Q'ing.
This last go round with my stomach acting up was bad . I just lost a taste for it ( kind of ) . Been drinking my weight in water though .
Bad thing is the beer helped deal with the arthritis pain .

McLoven1t562 McLoven1t562 I'm with you on the " Fishy " tasting stuff .
I say there's things I don't like , but truth is I've probably never had it cooked right .

personally hate quacmole/avacado yet I've barely ever tried any lol.
You gotta branch out on this. Avocados can be so good! you can eat them warm/coked, stuffed, cooked in burritos/tacos. I make guac with mashed avocado and big pappa smokers Jalapeno salt. its killer with ever thang

Smoking and BBQ can be some of the best tasting "healthy" food around, ie smoked lean meats and grilled vegies..... I eat a whole bunch of it and it keeps my ticker ticking right.....

Lot to be said for portion control. Problem's not so much what we eat but how much of it we eat.
Eh....yes and no. Obviously it's not wise to eat til your stuffed and then maybe eat some more. However it most definitely, medically proven is also partly what you're eating.

You typically want to eat until you feel that you've become full and then stop, it's not as simple as saying "8oz steak, 4 asparagus spears, one 3oz potato"

If you forgot to eat lunch, or maybe you're fasting. Your portions may be much larger on some days then others.

now if you're talking about getting a small french fry instead of a Large, then ya I totally agree lol - but either way, they're both terrible for your body :P

Last edited:
Certainly got the low carb / keto lifestyle my post all qualify. Always up for answering questions on any of them or talking about how to keto them up.
I'm personally not a fan of these "diet trends." We had fasting, keto, carnivore, probiotic-rich, flexitarian, volumetrics, and the list goes on and on.

NOW, I'm not ever going to knock someone for going on any of these diets as I do know that for certain individuals, it does seem to make very apparent improvements to their life and can sometimes even help with current medical conditions they've been suffering from.

It's just that there seems to be a lack of universal medical data that everyone can agree on in regards to the pro's/con's and health benefits. Especially Fasting as it can be a very dangerous routine if you aren't taking the right approach and/or consulting a professional.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky