lets talk griddles !!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
i am trying to decide which 36 inch outdoor griddle to buy , i think i have it narrowed down to two
the Black Stone and the Pit Boss , one thing i read somewhere about the Pit Boss is that it uses the old Piezo electric igniters
( i always hated those ) how hard would it be to retro fit a more modern electronic igniter ?

i am trying to decide which 36 inch outdoor griddle to buy , i think i have it narrowed down to two
the Black Stone and the Pit Boss , one thing i read somewhere about the Pit Boss is that it uses the old Piezo electric igniters
( i always hated those ) how hard would it be to retro fit a more modern electronic igniter ?
I would say that my Black Stone lights really easy and heats fast! The other thing that I like is the grease trap in the back, makes for easy cleanup. My two cents!
PS: You can really cook a lot of food quick!
Enjoy

I have a pit boss smoker and haven't had a single issue. I love it. I have seen some bad reviews about the pb griddles warping pretty bad. But as you probably know reviews are subjective. Alot of times people mess up there equipment and blame the company and on a rant they write a terrible review. So there's that.........I do have a blackstone 28in pro series and I absolutely love it. Same thing though you'll find bad reviews for them as well. Haven't had an issue with mine and the quality is awesome. Good luck

My blackstone has a battery and I push it and hold to light, only the first burner has a igniter on it, been working great for 3 years or so, there isn’t any push the button to make it click , it fires the whole time you have it pushed in, a builtin cover is high on my list, kinda like to have the same with the deep fryer made on it.

I will say I like the rear grease trap on my smaller blackstone better than the front troth one on my 36" camp chef. The PB front trap design does look better than the camp chef though.

My blackstone has a battery and I push it and hold to light, only the first burner has a igniter on it, been working great for 3 years or so, there isn’t any push the button to make it click , it fires the whole time you have it pushed in, a builtin cover is high on my list, kinda like to have the same with the deep fryer made on it.
this is the type of igniter that i like !!! i retro fitted a grill with one once and was thinking about doing the same to the PB IF thats the one i decide on ,
question : which burner lights first , the left or right ? if i do change the igniter i would install a 4 igniter unit so that i can turn on which ever one i want and not have to fool with the others .
never heard of the warping issue before mmmmmm ?

I have a 36" Blackstone. The cover is a must imo, very nice when its windy out after a cook to cover the griddle and keep debris off it while you eat then come back and clean. Rear grease trap is awesome. Couldnt ask for more.

I've cooked on several Blackstone griddles and they are truly a quality product. When I upgraded my outdoor stove I wanted the choice to multi-task. I use my stove for pressure canning throughout the year. I use a camp style Dutch oven for deep frying, or making stew or chili, and use some vintage griddles and cast iron skillets. So I opted for a traditional stove with a modular flat-top griddle that I can remove when needed.
1pmlZIU.jpg
MdZHPST.jpg

I'm with 3rd eye, i have a three burner camp chef. i put my griddle on the grill when I don't have the burner out.. i love the 3 burner camp chef . i have the grill box also n 2 griddles. i even put the smaller griddle on my gas stove. versatile

I have the camp chef 36" 600 model and love it. Even though it has the front grease trap it hasn't hindered cooking or made it more of a pain. It stays outside under the camp chef cover and haven't had any water, rust, or warping issues.The surface area is a little smaller than the 36 Blackstone but more than enough to get done about anything you want. Don't know much about the pit boss model but don't think you could go wrong with a Blackstone or Camp Chef.

the reason that i decide to buy one is that i do a LOT of frying and the wife is always complaining about the grease splatter on her stove, range vent and such , so my thinking is buy a griddle , cook outside ....problem solved !!!
i'm sure cleaning the griddle will be easier than cleaning the whole kitchen !!!
by the way , how long does it take to get to cooking temp from a cold start ?

I've been using my 28" Proseries since this past May and love it. I really like the lid that comes with it. I have a family of 5 and kids friends over all of the time and haven't had space issues.

All my kids friends love coming over and I get that thing heating up! It's really fun.

Reactions: MJB05615
when i say fry a lot , i mean everything from hash browns to pork chops ...lol
i want something that i can fry just about anything on

I feel like the guy with a Miata at the Porsche club meeting...
I was just going to ask the missus for a 20" cast iron griddle to use on my gas grill or Weber kettle as a Christmas present this year. Am I missing the boat? Do the dedicated (large) griddles make sense if you're only cooking for 2 or an occasional 4?
I must admit the lip at the back looks like a great idea for spatula-ing. But otherwise these look like you're cooking for a church gathering or Scout troop?

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky