LET'S TALK BRISKET!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What do you think about the Stall, did you ever see it?

Didn't look like it got to 203-205 IT (to render all the fat out), even though it was probe tender.

Have you ever tried hot and fast instead of low and slow?

After pulling did you leave it foiled, wrap in a blanket, and put in a cooler for a few hours?

As to loosing temp near the end did you consider increasing the pit temp to help it come up.

Can try finishing in oven to get IT up also.

Briskets can be frustrating but the more you do the better you get.

Don't give up!

Just my 2 cents.

i dont plan on giving up.. Yeah i left that out, i wrapped in towels threw it in the cooler for 2 hours.

i didnt really have a pronounced stall like i normally see with butts. it kinda just kept crusing.. it did slow up around 160 ish but never completely stalled..

next time i think i will finish in the oven just to say ive tried all different methods..

next time i think i will finish in the oven just to say ive tried all different methods..

Hey, c'mon now, there's no need to resort to such drastic measure. You can do it completely on the smoker. Just keep reading and looking at other people's pics. I'd say start by turning the heat up on your smoker, start about 250 or so and see how that works for you. Or see if there is a way to increase the air flow through your smoker.

Last edited:
regards BAMA BBQ (shud not be saying this as they beat Clemson for title - congrats)...$8-10/lb for the 'good stuff';

I  joined Restaurant Depot in Charlotte (they are all over the country www.restaurantdepot.com) and Angus Brisket is $3.09/lb

have to have a Tax ID or EIN or find a buddy with same

Angus is going on in about 2 hours today for dinner meal this eve

Now I'm terrified to try it! I just bought about a 7 pound brisket. Smoking it tomorrow. I put a rub on it last night and it's sitting in the fridge, covered. Its my understanding that when smoking...the meat will stall...and I have heard wrapping it in foil. Around what temp does it stall, and does anyone else have any suggestions on to overcome the stall?

Also, 1 and a half hour per pound?

Now I'm terrified to try it! I just bought about a 7 pound brisket. Smoking it tomorrow. I put a rub on it last night and it's sitting in the fridge, covered. Its my understanding that when smoking...the meat will stall...and I have heard wrapping it in foil. Around what temp does it stall, and does anyone else have any suggestions on to overcome the stall?

Also, 1 and a half hour per pound?
What kind of smoker do you have? And what temp are you planning to cook at?

Smaller cuts will typically cook a little faster.

For 7 lbs, I would expect maybe 8-9 hours is you are cooking at the 225 range.

Usually the stall happens abut 160ish. You can either kick the temp up a bit, or wrap in foil or butcher paper and then cook until it reaches 195-205. Usually by 200 it's nice and tender. I would expect it to reach 160 in 4-5 hours.

Hello ib.  No need to be terrified.  Just a hunk of meat.  Throw that sucker on the smoker and get with it.  I assume you have read all or some of the posts here.  It ain't rocket science buddy.  You know what to expect.  It stalls when it stalls.  It is done when it it is done.  Each and every brisket is different.  Relax and breath.  Roll with it.  Crack open another cold beverage and keep on keeping on.  You know what temp. to pull it so relax, maintain temp. and wait for the IT to get there.  Rest it and enjoy.  It is that easy.  You will be fine.  Good luck.  Post picts.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Reactions: ibbones
Wrap it in foil and then place it in a moderate oven (or back in the smoker) at about 130 C (265 F) until the meat reaches 74C (165 F). The aim is to warm it up gently so that it warms through - rather than starts "cooking" again from the outside. The foil and the gentle heat will help it to retain its moisture.

I am smoking my 1st brisket today - plan on 6 hours at 220/225 it is 3.5 lbs does that sound about right ? Also I am reading just now about wrapping it in foil when do you do that and what is ideal internal temp for brisket ? I bought one of those instant read thermo's on amazon just for this weekend. I planned on studying up on this during the week but work got crazy !

Idk if I screwed up, but I put the sucker on the smoker (an R2D2 smoker) no temp gauge. Its been on about 4 hours now. Checked temp it's already 200 degrees
7 pound chunk...I assume that smoker was seriously hot and cooked it already and even went through the stall?

Last edited:
Idk if I screwed up, but I put the sucker on the smoker (an R2D2 smoker) no temp gauge. Its been on about 4 hours now. Checked temp it's already 200 degrees
7 pound chunk...I assume that smoker was seriously hot and cooked it already and even went through the stall?

The brisket internal temp was 200?

If so I'd say it's done. Your smoker was probably running 300 or so and being small it cooked fast. I'd check the temp in a couple more places on the brisket and if about the same, pull it off and wrap it in foil. Let it rest for an hour or two wrapped in a towel and in a cooler.

Yea, I checked in more than a few spots. Took it out, put it in a roasting pan...cut down the Center...and it's perfect...nice and tender. Juices come rushing out. Have it in some sauce in oven on 160 to keep it warm until company shows up here soon.

I just wanted to share one more post. My overall experience smoking this meat was weird but an adventure.

I started with a rub and let it sit in the fridge for 2 nights.
Long story short, again, I am not sure of the exact temperature of the smoker but it had to be pushing 300 degrees.

I used Apple wood for the smoke and whether I'm grilling or smokin, I always use Royal Oak hardwood lump charcoal...and when the internal temp of the meat reached 200, I took her out and put her in a roasting pan. Cut down the middle and was excited to see a perfect pink center. Sucker was only in there for 4 hours! 7 pounds.

Juices came rushing out of the meat and then I lathered with some sauce. I put it in the oven at 145, just to keep it warm. It was in for about 1 hour. Unfortunately, it took away the pink, but still tender!

After cutting the meat, I used all the juices left over and poured it into a pot and mixed with flour. I made the most amazing gravy I have ever tasted. Little of the BBQ flavor with that delicious smoke flavor. Smoked Gravy! (for the taters and/or brisket) Definitely doing this again. I love when my guests literally make that "this is the best thing ever" face!

Hello ib.  I often say that the temp. is not all THAT important.  I think this is one of those times where that has been proven true.  BUT!  I do think maybe I should modify my statement.  Maybe this is what brings me back to my original question:  Why do some of us find brisket easy to do and others have failure after failure.  I think in this case you were lucky.  Had you not checked at 4 hours that brisket would have been toast.  Get some therms for that smoker you can rely on.  Although I have done pieces of brisket and prime rib in a small R2D2 type smoker (http://www.oldsmokey.com/products/18-old-smokey-charcoal-grill?variant=387900948) without a water pan at around the 300 mark; maybe size does matter?  Maybe 300/325 in an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn and 300/325 in a WSM is THE difference.  You would think 225/250 is 225/250 but maybe even 225 is a bit to high depending on your smoker??  Maybe the difference is between the heat source and the meat??  Could this be what is going on?  What do ya think guys?  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Maybe the difference is between the heat source and the meat??  Could this be what is going on?  What do ya think guys?  Keep Smokin!

Danny
I think it depends on a lot of different things. Air flow not being the least of them smokers that have more steady airflow will cook better at lower temps than other smokers. I think that's one of the things that makes the offsets work so well is they have such a good natural draw through the cook chamber. 

The vertical smokers gain their advantage from the proximity to the heat source. Insulated smokers like the BGEs and Kamado style gain their advantage from being efficient with their heat and fuel. 

But in all of these, better airflow will always cook the meat better than without. 

Last edited:
This thread has inspired me to try Brisket again! I just got a brand new pellet smoker (my MES died a few weeks ago) but I have used it twice already so this won't be my first smoke on it.

We have a family dinner on Saturday and I got a 13lb packer and I am ready to give this a go. Going to season with SPOG, fat cap down over a water pan, 225 the whole time, no foil crutch. My only issue is I need to have it ready for dinner at my parents house at 6 pm, but smoking it at my house (45 min drive). So here is my plan..any feedback or suggestions welcome:

Friday 7pm, preheat smoker, trim & season brisket, get it in the smoke by 8pm.

Smoke to 195 internal then test every 30 min until it passes toothpick test...planning it to take 16 hrs to 12 pm noon Saturday, only going to open the smoker to occasionally refill water pan and of course once I start toothpick tests.

Sine timing is critical my "plan" is that if it ends perfectly at noon (which it wont), I foil, wrap in a cooler and then drive to my parents. Leave in foil 4-6 hrs until dinner, then slice and eat.

If it takes longer than 16 hrs I have some buffer built in, and I can always wrap in foil to crutch it past a stall if it looks like I won't hit my time. But I want to make sure it is done no later than 2pm so I have enough time for it to get a 2-4hrs rest and I have enough time to drive over. If it isn't close to 195 by 10 or 11 am I will foil it.

If it goes fast, can I leave it in the cooler longer than 4-6hrs?

Hey Danny, I have hundreds of briskets under my belt, I have only cooked with wood and charcoal, so I can't speak for the watt burners and gassers 

225º and 250º are where I smoke, mostly at 225º.  Check temps in your CC if it's hotter on one side, it's gunna cook quicker. another thing is how close is your rack to the RF plate in RF smokers. May be a lot hotter than what your temp gauge is reading. (Check your Temp Gauge accuracy)  BRISKETS ARE DIFFERENT, some cook faster, some take longer, some have enough marbling and fat to be very moist and juicy, while others are lean , have very little marbling and fat, and come out dry. Try to find the best brisket you can and PAY ATTENTION. after you have smoked several you will figure out how your smoker is cooking, about how long it will take and what to be looking for. It does take a few times to get comfortable and turn out consistent  briskets every time.

A couple of links that may help

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...r-the-misconception-of-the-1-to-1-5-hour-rule

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...st-on-misconception-of-the-1-to-1-5-hour-rule

Gary

iB, glad your brisket came out to the liking of your guests and you!  It does seem like you got just a bit lucky though catching it at the right time for sure.  I would take the advice from KC and get you some trusty temp gauges or a Maverick or other brand of probe to monitor the temp of both your smoker and your meat.  Once you get a feel for your smoker you will find that you rely less and less on the therms, you will just learn that this amount of intake and fuel will get you X temp.  I agree with JC and personally feel that air flow is the single most important factor in the performance of your smoker, not the style or the fuel, but simple air flow.  A 7 pound brisket cooking in 4 hours is not uncommon at all, it really depends on the meat as Gary noted, you might go buy another 7 pounder and it take 6 hours...on my UDS I'll cook 13-15 pound packers in 6 to 7 hours, 4 hours of smoke, 2 to 3 hours wrapped.  Even with the wrap, I get a nice bark and color to everyone.  

Happy smokin!

Well!  I have been lucky enough to have a lot of the great brisket smokers post on this question.  I thought maybe we could find the ONE thing that was common with all the folks having trouble smoking a brisket.  I now think I was wrong.  I don't think it was any ONE thing.  I think it all comes down to EXPERIENCE and practice ( and some luck ).  In my opinion you must learn how YOUR smoker behaves.  You need to learn how to chose a packer brisket.  You need to learn what to do if the weather changes ( I have put a fan in front of my air intake because of no breeze ).  I do think once you have that experience you can smoke a brisket any time anywhere.  I have no doubt I could put bruno or gary s ( and many others ) on a totally unknown smoker and they could produce a good brisket.  OH! They may be doing a "dance" but I think things would turn out well so long as they chose the brisket.

It ain't rocket science is it?  So I guess there was never one solution.  I think we have all contributed to one of the best brisket threads ( with many GREAT links ) on the forum.  Thanks guys for all who posted on this thread.   I hope folks keep posting and we keep helping.  
icon_biggrin.gif

Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky