Lemon Pepper Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks good Johnny. With just 2 hours in the smoker how smokey was the jerky??
Gary
Well I used a couple big chunks ... They really did get smoking good.. It was noticeable for sure.. Or is. _
1514305902141-717285999.jpg

Any smokier and I think it would overpower the other seasoning.

Looks great! I want to do jerky so bad! I don't have a slicer and I don't think the WSM will cooperate either.

Mike

Except for knives, I don't own a slicer either. The butcher slices the meat I use.

I make jerky all the time on the WSM. All bottom vents closed, load it with cold briquettes. Form a ring in the center with some chunks of wood, then put 6 hot briquettes in the middle of the ring. It might take up to 90 minutes for the white smoke to start showing hints of blue.

I take the bottom rack out and put two bricks on the top rack. I lay out my jerky on the top rack, then put the bottom rack on the top of the two bricks. Then fill the top rack with what's left of your jerky. In a 22.5 I can load about 3.5 lbs of sliced, marinated bottom round. Believe it or not, the lid still fits just fine.

And once you have the thin blue smoke, or invisible smoke, don't be afraid to closed down your top vent to 1/4 to 1/2 if the chamber temp starts climbing past about 175F. It works and won't cause stale smoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike5051
Except for knives, I don't own a slicer either. The butcher slices the meat I use.

I make jerky all the time on the WSM. All bottom vents closed, load it with cold briquettes. Form a ring in the center with some chunks of wood, then put 6 hot briquettes in the middle of the ring. It might take up to 90 minutes for the white smoke to start showing hints of blue.

I take the bottom rack out and put two bricks on the top rack. I lay out my jerky on the top rack, then put the bottom rack on the top of the two bricks. Then fill the top rack with what's left of your jerky. In a 22.5 I can load about 3.5 lbs of sliced, marinated bottom round. Believe it or not, the lid still fits just fine.

And once you have the thin blue smoke, or invisible smoke, don't be afraid to closed down your top vent to 1/4 to 1/2 if the chamber temp starts climbing past about 175F. It works and won't cause stale smoke.

Oh snap! I coulda done that and did my bottom rack higher , instead of over my water pan .. or put the bricks in the water pan to raise the lower grate a few inches.. woulda been more even heat with the top grate.. Oh well.. it worked out ok..

Nice job John on that jerky .. P:cool:INTS ..........

Try some dried on flakes when you first put it on smoker ... It's a nice twist ..

I have a general question here...
Could you smoke dehydrated, or half dehydrated, Jerky before finishing drying it?
Or is it better to do the smoking prior to dehydration?

Trying to change ma ways, so errant thoughts dribble out my ears at times....
(Or irritable thoughts, depending on your point of view... :D )

I needed to quickly make a batch of jerky last week before hitting the road for several days due to a family emergency. I usually need to eat something every 4 hours or my body chemistry gets all out of whack. Jerky gets me through the periods when I can't eat for 4 hours or longer.

I pulled what I thought was a pre-sliced package of bottom round out of the freezer. Turns out it was sliced chuck, much fattier than bottom round. I didn't have time to thaw a package of BR, so I made lemon jerky out of the chuck. I use cure #1 in my marinade for safety and kept the finished product in a cold cooler due to the higher fat content.

Taste was great, texture definitely different, but in a good way for most bites. Some of it took a LOT of chewing to finally masticate. I wouldn't recommend using chuck, but it worked. I kept remembering what a survival instructor told me a long time ago in training: "You can make jerky out of any meat." At the time, we were making a jerky tent out of parachute panels, using some kind of grey snake I found in a north Florida swamp and carried back to camp alive in one of the chest pockets of my flight suit. Still gives me the heebee jeebees thinking about it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky