LEM or Sausage Maker Trail Bologna mix ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
Has anyone tried both of these for a comparison? Are they about the same? You get more for your money with the Sausage maker brand.

If BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker says LEM then I would go with LEM.

I have used a number of LEM seasonings and like almost all of them. Some are little bland and some can be a little salty, which can also be the case with any store bought seasoning, BUT 90% of the time the flavor from LEM is on track.

Be sure that when you mix it up you do a fry test to see if it is bland or too salty and add more seasoning if bland and add more meat mix (keep some extra for this) if it is too salty.

The only LEM seasoning I have kind of an issue with is their Summer Sausage seasoning. They should rename it to Corned Beef Log seasoning because you get a big log of corned beef flavored sausage hahaha. If they just renamed it then people would probably love it for making ground corned beef sausage hahaha.

Another thing you may want to do is go ahead and measure out what you use by weight so you can divide it by the number of pounds you are making and know how many grams of seasoning per pound of sausage you need for that seasoning mix. As you go up in making more meat the measurements with tablespoons and such can be so inaccurate and introduce so much slop that you over salt or mess up batches as you scale them up or down.

Let us know how it comes out and best of luck!

Reactions: poacherjoe
If BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker says LEM then I would go with LEM.

I have used a number of LEM seasonings and like almost all of them. Some are little bland and some can be a little salty, which can also be the case with any store bought seasoning, BUT 90% of the time the flavor from LEM is on track.

Be sure that when you mix it up you do a fry test to see if it is bland or too salty and add more seasoning if bland and add more meat mix (keep some extra for this) if it is too salty.

The only LEM seasoning I have kind of an issue with is their Summer Sausage seasoning. They should rename it to Corned Beef Log seasoning because you get a big log of corned beef flavored sausage hahaha. If they just renamed it then people would probably love it for making ground corned beef sausage hahaha.

Another thing you may want to do is go ahead and measure out what you use by weight so you can divide it by the number of pounds you are making and know how many grams of seasoning per pound of sausage you need for that seasoning mix. As you go up in making more meat the measurements with tablespoons and such can be so inaccurate and introduce so much slop that you over salt or mess up batches as you scale them up or down.

Let us know how it comes out and best of luck!
I saw a video on Utube that showed a guy using it for Bear meat and he liked it. I too want to find something for bear meat. I plan on using 1.5 lbs of bacon ends to 5 lbs of bear meat. One 6.5 lb batch for the trial. Then adjust the next batch if needed. I have always made fresh sausage with bear meat and you can only eat so much of it before it get's old. Summer sausage should be a better usage for bear. I am going to shoot a small 100 to 150 lb' er .I have another recipe using pork butt for another 25 lb batch.

I saw a video on Utube that showed a guy using it for Bear meat and he liked it. I too want to find something for bear meat. I plan on using 1.5 lbs of bacon ends to 5 lbs of bear meat. One 6.5 lb batch for the trial. Then adjust the next batch if needed. I have always made fresh sausage with bear meat and you can only eat so much of it before it get's old. Summer sausage should be a better usage for bear. I am going to shoot a small 100 to 150 lb' er .I have another recipe using pork butt for another 25 lb batch.

Oh nice! Will the bear meat have enough fat on it? I've heard good things about bear fat but have never eaten bear so I have no experience with it.

I make sausage out of feral big and like bear, you have to take the sausage temp to an IT of 165F to ensure all the mircro parasites are killed (if they have them). I walk my smoker temp up to 180F and I don't get any fat out. I bet I could take it to 185F but haven't had to.

Just be sure to hit that IT of 165F on that sausage and let us know how that LEM's bologna seasoning turns out. I can't wait to see your bear bologna! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky