LEM Jalepeno Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Picked up some last minute things before hunting season at Runnings today.

Grabbed a LEM Jalepeno Summer Sausage seasoning packet.

Impulse buy...

Anyone tried it?

Been awhile since i made summer sausage, so i figured i would make some of that, while waiting for my pork loin i grabbed at the commissary yesterday.

Been awhile for Canadian Bacon too.

Picked up some last minute things before hunting season at Runnings today.

Grabbed a LEM Jalepeno Summer Sausage seasoning packet.

Impulse buy...

Anyone tried it?

Been awhile since i made summer sausage, so i figured i would make some of that, while waiting for my pork loin i grabbed at the commissary yesterday.

Been awhile for Canadian Bacon too.
I have not used it.
HOWEVER, I have used a number LEM seasonings and almost every one is top notch!
Word of the wise, be sure to follow the instructions and BE SURE to do a test patty fry to check the flavor.
If it seems like it may be a little salty then it is too salty so add some more meat.
If it seems like it could use just a little more seasoning then stop that is perfect.
If it is bland up the seasoning some.

I've used the Lem's Jalapeno bacon seasoning to make bacon and soooo good! I also adapted it to make jerky and it was good too but oddly I don't care much for jalapeno jerky flavor as much as a cayenne jerky flavor.

The Lem Bratworst and Lem cured Frank seasoning make the best brats and franks I've ever eaten and I have by weight (grams) measurements for those and some other LEM seasonings if you ever want to try them :)

Let us know how that seasoning turns out! :)

Reactions: bill ace 350
I have not used it.
HOWEVER, I have used a number LEM seasonings and almost every one is top notch!
Word of the wise, be sure to follow the instructions and BE SURE to do a test patty fry to check the flavor.
If it seems like it may be a little salty then it is too salty so add some more meat.
If it seems like it could use just a little more seasoning then stop that is perfect.
If it is bland up the seasoning some.

I've used the Lem's Jalapeno bacon seasoning to make bacon and soooo good! I also adapted it to make jerky and it was good too but oddly I don't care much for jalapeno jerky flavor as much as a cayenne jerky flavor.

The Lem Bratworst and Lem cured Frank seasoning make the best brats and franks I've ever eaten and I have by weight (grams) measurements for those and some other LEM seasonings if you ever want to try them :)

Let us know how that seasoning turns out! :)
Thanks! I'll take any gram measurements you're kind enough to provide!

I have never used it , tallbm has you covered . I just went and looked at the ingredients to see if it has sodium erythorbate in it , and it does . That's good in my opinion . It helps speed up the break down of the cure , but also sets the color and acts as an antioxidant . I think it aids in the texture too .

Reactions: bill ace 350
Thanks! I'll take any gram measurements you're kind enough to provide!

Here are my sausage seasoning notes.

Word of advise. If you measure out your Lem's Jalapeno Summer Sausage seasoning and weight before you add to the meat it will really help you dial in the amount of seasoning per pound. Often measuring with table spoons (by volume) the seasoning doesn't scale well due to discrepancies with each scoop therefore causing more and more seasoning or less and less seasoning as you scale up your batches. Once you get a good measure by weight it will scale up or down with no problem.

The test patty you fry will tell you if your flavor is good then you can divide your weighed out seasoning and be golden from then on :D

I hope my notes below come in handy should you use any of the stuff below
SeasoningAmount per lbs (gms)MeatNotes
Cure #1 per pound of sausage1.133SausageThis should be standard for each pound of cured sausage made no matter the type of sausage.
Lem's Fresh Brat27.3Sausage
Lem's Cured Frank14Sausage
Lem's Jalapeno bacon cure3% of bacon meat weightBacon
Lem's Venison bacon cure3% of bacon meat weightBacon
Owens German Bologna Seasoningsee notesSausage1-2oz water per pound, 6gm seasoning per pound, 8gm Maple Cure per pound, 4.5gm NDFM per pound

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky