LEM Cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike1ranger

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Northern MN
I've always used sausage maker cure #1 for sausage and bacon. Recently, purchased LEM at the local retailer. Package says "LEM cure is the same as cure #1."

But, in looking closer at the ingredients, sodium nitrite is 6%. So, even though I have a good handle on using cure I decided to investigate a bit more and it appears LEM's instructions are the same as for cure #1 (6.25%) in terms of amounts to use.

Any thoughts on LEM ingredients listing sodium nitrite at 6% vs 6.25%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200117-060620_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200117-060620_Chrome.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 20
Like you, I've always ordered my Cure #1 from The Sausage Maker or PS Seasonings, 6.25%. I usually try to stay somewhere in the middle of the minimum / maximum recommendations so I don't imagine it'd make all that much difference. I use this site most often when curing my bacon. If you click on it you can adjust the percentage of Cure #1 from 6.25% to 6%, I just tried that out, always thought that was a fixed number. RAY

If you apply it in the same manner as cure #1 you will most likely still be well within safety margins for your cure unless you are measuring your cure for the absolute minimum safe level.

European peklosol is salt with 0.6% NaNO2 and has been used safely for decades. The amount of NaNO2 rises and falls based on the NaCl content chosen by the maker. Any reasonable amount of peklosol will produce a safe level of cure.

My $0.02

JC :emoji_cat:

I've always used sausage maker cure #1 for sausage and bacon. Recently, purchased LEM at the local retailer. Package says "LEM cure is the same as cure #1."

But, in looking closer at the ingredients, sodium nitrite is 6%. So, even though I have a good handle on using cure I decided to investigate a bit more and it appears LEM's instructions are the same as for cure #1 (6.25%) in terms of amounts to use.

Any thoughts on LEM ingredients listing sodium nitrite at 6% vs 6.25%

I think you will be ok.
Could be that the department handling the labeling rounded down from 6.25% to 6%.
Many of the food labeling laws state that certain nutritional items be rounded up/down based on the actual decimal value present. Many items that are not explicitly called out are also lumped into a given general rounding up/down requirement for labeling.

I'm just giving a possibility here so don't quote me as giving you an exact answer to why they list 6%.

As long as you aren't cooking massive amounts of meat you should be ok :)

Reactions: JC in GB
Took a while but I got a response from LEM.

"Thank you for your inquiry. I have checked with our seasoning department and the cure is still 6.25% even though the package states 6%. I know it is confusing, but the final product is insta cure #1."

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky