LEM Big Bite #12 Meat Grinder Arrived

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cliff43j

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 14, 2017
I did my first batch of ground pork shoulder using my wife's KitchenAid Pro counter top mixer with its meat grinding accessory and sausage stuffing accessory.  I bought the pork shoulder from Sam's.  They had bone-in only.  If I had known that the pork shoulder preparation for grinding and then the grinding itself would be so difficult for this old man (73) I never would have started to make sausages in the first place.  It was a marathon project of nightmarish proportions.  The next day I could barely move.

Fortunately the sausage was so delicious that I decided to give sausage making one more try - this time with better equipment, and as luck would have it, better meat.

I bought a stainless steel, 7 liter, vertical, sausage stuffer. Next I bought an LEM, Big Bite, #12 meat grinder and on a whim a Costco membership.  The Costco card turned out to be the first of 3 blessings as they had BONELESS pork shoulder which was a snap to cut into 2" strips, and it was less expensive at $1.99/lb. vs. $2.38/lb. too!  I bought 2 packages for a total weight of 34 lbs - no waste also.

The LEM #12 Big Bite meat grinder was simply AMAZING!  I could not feed it fast enough to keep up with it, and I was feeding it strips of pork that were 2"x2"x various lengths.  Color me happy.  I was finished in less than 15 minutes compared to the almost an hour with the KitchenAid.  Putting through the first-ground-batch of pork was a breeze too!  I DO LIKE THIS NEAT GRINDER VERY MUCH!!!

The sausage stuffer works well with the Syracuse casings that I now have.  My first batch of casings was bought online on eBay and was a disaster - very frustrating to use basically "culls".

I've taken some photos of the grinding process and will take more while stuffing later today.  This has turned a sausage-making nightmare into "tasty fun".
icon14.gif

Cliff.

Cliff,

Sounds like the fiasco I had when I first started out. I too started with a Kitchenaide grinder. I found if I froze the meat and fed it very slow it work. I eventually bought a Cabela's 1 hp #22  grinder that made things a whole lot better. Last year I bought a vertical stuffer that does 20LB per load. My only suggestion would be to get a motor attachment for your stuffer so you don't need to supply the horse power when stuffing and a foot power feed so you can keep your fingers safe.

Since that time I have stuffed over 1000LBS of sausage and have even created my own blends.

Chris

Cliff, I feel for you, That is how we started as well, Poor kitchenaide....  We ended up going to an LEM #22 1 hp. Wow is all we had to say. I doubt you ever be disappointed with grinder let alone the gear you have. Sausage making is a whole lot of enjoyment IMO. Way to go and keep it up. Looking forward to the pics...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky