Leatherneck Roll Call.... All Branches Welcome!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
2thumbs.gif
  NICE TOYS!!!

That must be a lot of fun!

2thumbs.gif
  Awesome job on this video!!!

Thank You  ladies and gents for your service!

Hopefully one day we'll have peace on earth!

When I was in Viet Nam, I use to go out for 3 or 4 weeks at a time. I was given something call LRPS which for all intents and purposes was dry food to be mixed with a liquid. Two table spoons of that and you were full. Two things that I craved: cold milk and a salad. Never saw either. C-rations was a luxury meal. When I came from my missions, I had to replace my boots, clothes, and gear. They were all torn to shreds and everything rotten. I did not carry an M-16 because it was not trusted. I carried a 1911 45 ACP and an old WWII Thompson which also fired 45 ACP and 10 magazines. The Armorer cut the stock except for the handle grip. That was it for 3 to 4 weeks. My job was well... my job was stealth. I was not to engage unless absolutely necessary and I was not to be taken alive. When I came home on September 9th, 1969 after 20 months in country, I weighed 140 lbs. I am 6 feet tall. My mother thought that I was in a concentration camp. Sounds like you guys had a feast. Any body put on weight?
The Thompson was and still is a heck of a good weapon.  I put a few thousand rounds through one in the day.  :)

The Thompson was and still is a heck of a good weapon.  I put a few thousand rounds through one in the day.  :)
I happen to have the semi-auto version, and love the thing.  50 round drum, 30 round stick and a violin case to boot.  I know, not the military version but I just had to have that 50 round drum!

Semper Fi Marines. 20+ yr former Army Aviation here. CH-47(s) '81 - '02.
Hey Bama BBQ! Thanks for your service. 

Took many rides on them birds and the 53's. Once about fifteen feet up then straight back down. We were stuck for awhile until repairs were made.

U.S. Army . 1968-1970

35th Infantry Platoon Scoutdog.  First Infantry Division Dau Tieng  Republic of South Vietnam     

34th Infantry Platoon Scoutdog . First Air Calvary Division Quan Loi The ever so lovely Republic of South Vietnam.

1969-1970

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed this one, probably saw Marine roll call and passed it by.

Lets see, USN 70 to 76, USNR 76 to 81. I am a son of Neptune with a Blue Nose. Or more simply said, I rode boats. I helped decommission the USS Tiru to be turned over to the Turks, I rode the USS Batfish then returned home to the Vallejo. Brought her out the yards, trials (speed, depth, sonar, torpedo, and new missiles), to finally home port in Spain. I saw the Atlantic, I stayed out of the big pond. Rosie Roades, Coco beach, Azores, Virgin Islands, Rota, Charleston, Newport News, Groton, Holy Loche. I was a swimmer (now called a third class diver) when on top, I was the number one driver whenever the Old man was nervous, but mostly just tended the widar makers (O2 generator). Oh yeah, I got to play with the BAR, like we would ever repell boarders! I have set thru depth charges in the Med. and had a missile blow up upon the deck during a missile shot.

Shellbellc, we might have talked trash but no more than we would have to anyone else. I don't understand all these problems today. We had a simple solution to the problem childs. It was called ships qualification. You didn't qualify in a year you left the boat, your leave three boats your were a shore puke. No one was picked upon, everyone was till you broke, you either fit or you didn't. And you fit with everyone, I am sure its much like foxhole buddies. You had to trust each person or get rid of them. It was about the person, not the race, not the gender, not the religion, not the sexual preference. The crew made the decisions who stayed not the President and Congress.

It was the military, it was what you made of it. Most of us grew up fast and needed to do so. Like everyone else we moan and groan about it, but when the flag goes by we appreciate the fact that we can still salute it.

BTW we won the cold war. To all here and those others mentioned, I would like to thank you for your service. I love saying that, its like a promise kept.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Am I the only Army Vet in this corral ???

Good thing I brought my soap-on-a-rope!!!!
biggrin.gif

Army May, 68 to May, 71.

9th Inf Div, Dong Tam, Mekong Delta, RVN 1969.

Bear
Nope. Army Vet from a more recent conflict: 2004-2010 3rd SBCT 2ID. 2 Trips the the sandbox, now I just make trips to the side fire box.

Just saw this thread

USMC 1979 - 1984  stationed at El Toro

USMCR 1984 - 1989

Air National Guard 1989 - 2001 (Retired)

As a Marine I was with VMA (AW) - 121 and VMFA - 134

I work on MCAS Beaufort now & have to listen to the wing wipers whine about going to CAX (2 weeks @ camp Wilson) we spent on average 5-6 months a year in the field. Our CO volunteered us for everything.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky