Least and Most Favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
They are ruined. No real benefit left in them! But, soo good!
Ah, got it, thank you. And they do sound good. Not much of that pound of bacon would go to the beans, I'm afraid, maybe half. The Bacon Snitcher lives here......
I'm still thinking on that Hamilton Beach crockpot that I asked you about, maybe ruint beans are a good enough excuse to get it, finally.

Reactions: noboundaries
Ah, got it, thank you. And they do sound good. Not much of that pound of bacon would go to the beans, I'm afraid, maybe half. The Bacon Snitcher lives here......
I'm still thinking on that Hamilton Beach crockpot that I asked you about, maybe ruint beans are a good enough excuse to get it, finally.
I'm the bacon thief. Ann runs interference so there's some left! They are a real good crockpot. Worth the $$ IMHO.

They are green beans. Fresh. Or frozen. Put in a crock pot with a diced large onion. Cook up a pound of bacon until crispy. Crumble. And put that with crock pot with a few Tbs of the bacon grease. Salt and pepper to taste. Fill with water until the beans are submerged. And let them cook until they are nice and tender. I usually go on low for 8 hours. Hence. They are ruined. No real benefit left in them! But, soo good!
Moms, had similar ingredients, but also added a little vinegar to it. French style green beans. Cooked in a covered frying pan to simmer and soften.

Moms, had similar ingredients, but also added a little vinegar to it. French style green beans. Cooked in a covered frying pan to simmer and soften.
I'll add vinegar. Or my spicy vinegar after I put it in my bowl. Ann doesn't care for it like that. Haven't tried it with french cut beans. She cut them herself?

Reactions: noboundaries
Dry turkey doesn't bother me as much. As long as there is a good gravy coating it.

Chris
I thought I posted this yesterday. I guess not it was still in drafts

So, I grew up eating frozen turkeys thawed on the countertop then stuffed and cooked overnight for 10-15 hours at 180°F. (Don't get Dave started on pasteurization). The white meat was dry as chalk. Gravy was the only path to it being edible.

I thought I posted this yesterday. I guess not it was still in drafts

So, I grew up eating frozen turkeys thawed on the countertop then stuffed and cooked overnight for 10-15 hours at 180°F. (Don't get Dave started on pasteurization). The white meat was dry as chalk. Gravy was the only path to it being edible.
If Dave was taking a nap. He just woke up screaming!

We always had some form of discusting jello mold for Thanksgiving.
So, I'm going to describe a disgusting sounding jello mold that is actually friggin' delicious. It was my wife's contribution to TG after we got married.

Lime jello.
Crushed pineapple.
Small curd cottage cheese.
Creamed horseradish.

So, I grew up eating frozen turkeys thawed on the countertop then stuffed and cooked overnight for 10-15 hours at 180°F.
Yeah, me too. And my sister still cooks her turkeys at 300+ for hours and hours. It's all one can do to chew/swallow it, no amount of gravy can hide that sin. Her husband doesn't carve it too well - no thin slices of the breast, he just cuts off big chunks of it and serves it that way.

I actually read the thawing and cooking directions on the very first frozen turkey I ever oven-roasted. It was TG 1977. I was living with two roommates in a single-wide house trailer in South Texas. I got rub ideas from a Fannie Farmer cookbook. No stuffing. I was expecting dry but the result was moist and delicious. I told my mom but she didn't change her ways for many years.

Any chance of getting the recipe? My wife has been searching for a scratch chocolate pudding recipe for a long time.
3 small containers heavy cream. It needs to be the heavy cream. The containers look like the little cartons you got milk in at school.
16oz chocolate bar. Any brand will work. Regular candy bar type.
Put cream in pot. Break up the chocolate and add to it.
Heat on low until chocolate is thoroughly melted. And it starts to low boil. Stir constantly.
Put in fridge covered it needs to set for 24 hours in fridge.
Take out and whip until stiff.
Then serve. We add whipped cream on top. You can also grate some chocolate on top.
Amazing stuff!

3 small containers heavy cream. It needs to be the heavy cream. The containers look like the little cartons you got milk in at school.
16oz chocolate bar. Any brand will work. Regular candy bar type.
Put cream in pot. Break up the chocolate and add to it.
Heat on low until chocolate is thoroughly melted. And it starts to low boil. Stir constantly.
Put in fridge covered it needs to set for 24 hours in fridge.
Take out and whip until stiff.
Then serve. We add whipped cream on top. You can also grate some chocolate on top.
Amazing stuff!
Sounds delicious!!

It is. Only get it twice a year though. A small bowl of it. And you're comatose for a few hours!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky