Learning day 3 smoking chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not 100% sure what you're asking.  Honestly chicken is best hot and fast no matter what anyone says.  It absorbs smoke like a sponge and the skin is better with hot direct cooks.   Absolutely zero benefit to long cooks, If I could get away with getting birds in 30 minutes vs 70 or 90 minutes I would.  

Slow cook your pork or beef if you want to (don't need to though) but get your chicken done HOT ...which in turn will be done quicker.  If you're cooking over charcoal or fire then flip that sucker on the grate so you can get some sear on the skin.

What cooker are you using?

Last edited:
Yeah what he said!

I prefer a bit longer cook than 30 minutes though, I like to drink a few beers!

Your chicken parts will be done faster than your whole chickens so watch those as you cook.

Chickens done when you hit an IT of 165.

The reason we are recommending a hot smoke is to help get the skin crisp. The low slow method results in rubbery inedible skin. Not so fantastic! Chicken doesn't need much smoke.

Give the poultry section a read in this thread.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/191066/dirtsailors-mega-mother-of-all-cooking-links-index

Thank you guys for your input. I was attempting to ask how easily chicken absorbs the smoke, I didn't want too much smoke flavor. Currently I am smoking it all at 275 trying to work my way up to 300 where I plan to keep it and finish it off.

And FWI I'm using a stand up propane smoker. Today is just my third day using a smoker and this is my 3rd experiment, I'm learning haha. I did a pork shoulder butt two days ago and some New York strips last night thought I would give chicken a try. I'm thinking I will take the quarters and make some pulled chicken sandwiches and the drums are just something I wanted to eat tonigh. I honestly just jumped right in and have no idea how this will turn out haha

Like they said! Especially with pieces. I like to smoke whole chickens @300-350* but if I'm doing drums or thighs, they just go on the grill.
Enjoy the experiments and the journey.

Lance

Reactions: bombsquadjohn
Stay tuned because I'm sure this will end well....... [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

And FWI I'm using a stand up propane smoker. Today is just my third day using a smoker and this is my 3rd experiment, I'm learning haha. I did a pork shoulder butt two days ago and some New York strips last night thought I would give chicken a try. I'm thinking I will take the quarters and make some pulled chicken sandwiches and the drums are just something I wanted to eat tonigh. I honestly just jumped right in and have no idea how this will turn out haha

Well since you're using a propane cabinet ....AT MINIMUM start cooking skin side down on the cook grate. This is called "conductive heat" and will help the rendering of the fats in the skin. You'll have a better finished product.

Thank you FWI, I will try that next time. Everything has finished cooking now. The quarters finished a lot quicker than I expected. I see what everyone was talking about with the skin, It did get a little chewy. I am Pulling the chicken though. Seriously the taste of this chicken quarters is amazing!!!! I mean amazing, I threw some crAzy stuff together and didn't know how it would turn out,but it's great and I will season it the same way. The drums turned out how I expected and they were very tasty. I'm just surprised how the quarters turned out.

Lance, they are my cheerleaders and they love my cooking no matter how it turns out [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]127867[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

You smoked New York strip steaks? Never heard of that. How did that work?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

They turned out alright. I cooked them in the smoker at 225-250 until internal temp reached 120 and then pulled them and let them rest for about 10 mins while the grill heated up to 550 and reverse seared them until they reached 135 and served them right away. I would have cut the time in half of actual "smoking" I did 30 mins I would do it for 10-15 next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky