Learning about Beef Shoulder Clod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
As some of you know from comments in other threads I've been curious about cooking a beef shoulder clod after watching Steven Raichlen's video about spit roasting a clod. While researching cooking information I came across a link to Kreuz's Market in Lockhart TX for their beef shoulder clod and while reading their description I noticed they state that they smoke a clod for 4-1/2 hours. The video of a clod being sliced on their clod page had me sure that the 4-/12 hour cook time was a mistake so I emailed them and they wrote back stating that nope, not a mistake, they smoke a clod, hotter, for 4-1/2 to 5-hours.

I had a follow-up email with them and they stated that while they do not have thermometers on their pits to determine precise cook/smoke temperature, they cook the clod to 210-degrees or when there is little resistance when poked with a steel pin and furthermore said that clod is every bit as good as brisket – tender and lean, like a smoked roast.

A smoked roast is precisely what I am looking for and what a convenience it would be to produce one in so short a cook time!

I have a clod on order from an Austin meat market that was supposed to be here yesterday but did not make the truck so the plan is now for Monday. We'll see what happens. Clods weigh between 20 to 25-pounds so probably cut in half or thirds and cook the first one on the spit and see how that goes. I'll freeze what I do not cook (though I hate freezing meat), and smoke it, hot, when the times comes, and see what happens with it.

Any suggestions on smoke chamber temperature to cook a 10-lb +/- clod to 210-degrees in 4 to 5-hours (guessing due to smaller nature of cooking half a clod) would be greatly appreciated.

Kreuz's video of that clod being sliced just looks incredible to my eyes.

Last edited:
You ain't kidding!
That vid makes my stomach growl so hard it hurts!

+1. Looks much better than brisket to me. Not sure exactly how I found out about it but would never smoke brisket again if I could get clod. Need to find some...

No way I am buying the simplicity however. I bet there is some kind of Franklin style looooong hold post smoke amongst other tricks. Do not forget their pit is no doubt HUGE and always running so the physics is nothing like our smokers so odds are it will be a longer smoke than 4-5 hours for you to 210F ish. That said, low and slow is not magic and cooking hot and fast 350F+ works fine IME. As they said and you should know, pulling at proper IT is the key not chamber temp. There are folks who run it so I hope they chime in but I can tell you in my trials of breaking butts down it will indeed help you cut down the time without losing quality. In fact, I think it's even better with 2x the bark. Good luck!

Kreuz's Market is one of the old legendary Texas pits. I've been to Lockhart's Smokehouse in Dallas, and their big dino beef ribs are amazing. I think there is now a chain of PBR Lockhart Smokehouses all over. Not sure what the affiliation is, if any, but does that PBR in the name indicate a brand of beer?

Anyway, looking forward to your cook.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Now I am sitting here all impatient waiting for Monday to see if the clod makes the truck! 😬

indaswamp indaswamp 's clod thread has me cray-cray.

I've never seen a shoulder clod in real life, only in BBQ Pitmasters. I did find it intriguing and had considered placing an order for a batch but was reluctant due to the sheer volume (probably about 50# to an order). After seeing that video (thank you for posting) I'm wondering it it might not be worth looking into. I'm gonna play the coward this time though and see how yours comes out :emoji_laughing: Cannot wait to see the outcome.

Robert

Reactions: Retired Spook
That video is great and I love the battle sword carving it. I’ll be watching this.
This is the only battle sword I have - it will have to do. It does hold a wicked sharp edge! But admit that the battle sword in the Kreuz video is impressive - looks like something out of a kung fu movie!
IMG_1466.jpg

Last edited:
I've never seen a shoulder clod in real life, only in BBQ Pitmasters. I did find it intriguing and had considered placing an order for a batch but was reluctant due to the sheer volume (probably about 50# to an order). After seeing that video (thank you for posting) I'm wondering it it might not be worth looking into. I'm gonna play the coward this time though and see how yours comes out :emoji_laughing: Cannot wait to see the outcome.

Robert
If I can figure out how to cook it and it comes out as good as I have heard they can come out, for the price, and for the faster cook time at a hotter temperature, I would never buy a brisket ever again - especially after watching that Kreuz video...

I used to do clod quite a bit when our GFS carried huge ones cheap. Clod was the rage way before brisket. Thst said I cooked far longer than 4 1/2 hours. To get to 210 that fast they have to be running 325F or higher I would think. Here are a couple of my clod cooks. Second one especially was amazing https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-some-sides-lots-of-pics.295050/#post-2053671 https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-beef-chuck-clod.285960/#post-1945071
I gotta stop looking at people's links - my stomach is growling so hard I am going to get an ulcer. It looks fantastic!

I think I am going to inject mine with 2/3 Chianti and 1/3 Worcestershire with some granulated garlic added...

And I think I will place an aluminum pan beneath as you did, to catch the liquid essence...

My God I am hungry.

Reactions: jcam222
I gotta stop looking at people's links - my stomach is growling so hard I am going to get an ulcer. It looks fantastic!

I think I am going to inject mine with 2/3 Chianti and 1/3 Worcestershire with some granulated garlic added...

And I think I will place an aluminum pan beneath as you did, to catch the liquid essence...

My God I am hungry.
I love a nice earthy rub on these too, SPOG until it slurries then a light sprinkle all over with espresso powder. So good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky