Learned a valuable lesson today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Danger Zone is the area where bacteria live and can cause harmful results if food is eaten. When your food is between 40º - 140º that bacteria is thriving.

You want to get through this temp zone as soon as possible (less than 4 hours) to prevent sickness and to kill the bacteria.

Personally I would probably finish cooking it and eat it - but I won't recommend that you do so.

Let us know what you decided to do buster.

If you keep the smoker temps at 225-250 getting thru the "Danger Zone" is usually not any problem. If the meat in this thread had made 140 in 5 hours I might have taken a chance but it didn't and its just really not worth risking my family's health for a 15-20 dollar piece of meat

I just wanted to round out this thread and post my final thoughts. I went ahead and finished the smoke yesterday, but I wouldn't serve it to anyone else. I went ahead and ate some (we'll see if I die). The worst part is, it was the best pulled prok I have made to date. It was simply amazing...LOL.

Figures. Anyway, thanks again for all of the advice. I think too that if I take a nap again, I will, as suggested, wait until the meat reaches 140 before I go pass out. Also, I will no longer puncture the meat prior to being in the smoke for a couple of hours.

All in all, I am nearly certain the meat is fine, but like everyone said, it was just not worth the risk getting my family and friends sick. If It is just me, I can live with it. If I don't turn up sick in a couple of days, I can at least get some good sammies for the wife and kid later this week.

And yes, I have been schooled!

Good idea you may very well be fine with it but I just couldn't recommend you serve it. I don't put a probe into the larger cuts of meat until about 3.5 hours into the smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky