Leaner meats to smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
hi guys,
what are some of the leaner meats you have smoked?

I am thinking these items;
Pork loins and pork loin roasts.
Salmon
SV eye of the round then smoke

I am hoping for more ideas...let me know if you have some suggestions.

Many thanks

hi guys,

Salmon

Many thanks
The stuff you have listed I think are all great. Pork loins are great but my favorite is the little tenderloins. And dont forget about turkey. Turkey tenderloins are great and most the time I just buy bone in breasts to smoke. Ham is another fairly lean cut. Double smoked hams are pretty good. If you can find access to domestic raised rabbit thats a great option as well. I used to raise rabbits( need to start again) . just keep in mind all the lean meats will benefit from a hotter faster cook on the smoker.

Reactions: zwiller
I did a beef chuck roast that I shaved and made French dip style sandwiches. So delicious....

JC :emoji_cat:

Well if your lumping in seafood, here is a short list of what I've smoked:
Shrimp, prawns, crawdads, rockfish, halibut, tuna, salmon, trout, catfish, tilapia, walleye, scallops, eel, herring, shark, oysters, clams, crab, lobsta, urchin. Probably some more that I am forgetting.

Pork:
Pork Tenderloin, Sirloin Pork Chop, Sirloin Pork Roast, New York Pork Chop, Porterhouse Chop, Ribeye Pork Chop, Pork Loin Roast

Poultry:

Extra lean: Breasts (chicken/turkey)

Lean:Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, Ground Chicken, Ground Turkey

Beef:

Ground beef can be lean or extra lean depending on your fat ratio.

Extra lean: Eye round, sirloin tip side steak, top round roast and steak, bottom round roast and steak, and top sirloin steak

Lean: Brisket, round top roast and steak, round steak, shank cross cut, chuck shoulder pot roast, sirloin tip center roast and steak, chuck shoulder steak and bottom round steak, top loin steak, shoulder petite medallions, flank steak, shoulder center steak, tri-tip roast and steak, tenderloin roast and steak, and T-bone steak

Bison. We have a local rancher that raises and sells it.

Wild game. Elk, deer, Moose

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Elk and Moose roast, shaved thin for supper with gravy, the leftovers freeze for sandwiches. Would like to try Bison someday it’s so expensive and not every butcher carries it.

Looks like you have a lot to think about with all the suggestions

Gary

hi guys,

Salmon

Many thanks

You got the Main ones:
Beef Eye Round.
Pork Loin.
About any kind of Fish.

Bear

such great info! thanks! kinda blew a cholesterol test recently...but I want to keep smokin!

such great info! thanks! kinda blew a cholesterol test recently...but I want to keep smokin!
I can relate on the cholesterol. It's frustrating because you ask 4 different docs or nutritionists and you get four diff answers on what to eat or stay away from. The internet is even worse. I made some major changes where I cut out eggs (except egg whites) and was only eating meat once a day during the week (lots of oatmeal, almonds, salads, and peanut butter sandwiches). I'd have meat at dinner and try to focus on the leaner stuff and smaller portions paired with veggies. Then I'd eat my usual diet on the weekends (ribs, brisket, pulled pork, burgers, steak, etc.) while being just a little more fat conscious. It worked for me, dropped my LDL 50 points back into normal territory. Best of luck getting yours under control!

thanks! I didnt think we were eating all that poorly...trying to eat more healthy. Doc also put on a med to bring it down. should find out in a few hour if we are heading in the right direction...

chuck eye tenders, chuck under blade roasts, beef shanks for stew, top round, bottom round, eye round roasts, rump roasts, whole goosenecks (bottom and eye round roasts plus round heel for stew), orange roughy, scallops, boneless skinless chicken thighs, etc.

I can relate on the cholesterol. It's frustrating because you ask 4 different docs or nutritionists and you get four diff answers on what to eat or stay away from. The internet is even worse. I made some major changes where I cut out eggs (except egg whites) and was only eating meat once a day during the week (lots of oatmeal, almonds, salads, and peanut butter sandwiches). I'd have meat at dinner and try to focus on the leaner stuff and smaller portions paired with veggies. Then I'd eat my usual diet on the weekends (ribs, brisket, pulled pork, burgers, steak, etc.) while being just a little more fat conscious. It worked for me, dropped my LDL 50 points back into normal territory. Best of luck getting yours under control!

Nice job dropping the LDL! Almost think Healthy Cooking needs its own section in here. Even things as simple as using olive oil instead of butter sometimes.

Reactions: tander28
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky