Le Boudin d’Ecrevisse Louisiana (Crawfish Boudin)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Last Sunday, I took a class at our local Southern Food and Beverage museum. It was all about boudin. Well, thanks to my pal indaswamp indaswamp , I already am set on traditional boudin, but I figured I may learn a thing or two anyway. Well, this crawfish boudin we made blew me away. I had to try and duplicate it. We paid $ for the class, but you guys have taught me so much, I had to share this with you. So here it is...Enjoy!!

B0910732-A48F-48C9-9EE8-2AC6B47F7AB7.jpeg
9504CE29-60DF-4F8A-937B-CDEA895F6AD5.jpeg
Pretty much followed this recipe to the letter. I did add some liquid crawfish boil and some of the juice I saved from the crawfish tails. You are trying to create a dressing like texture. Also, disregard the written notes about kitchen bouquet; that was for another recipe.
115E55B9-F9AF-48BD-9A28-4B7671550DCF.jpeg B6B3DC6F-AB22-41E0-8D78-A437E9327649.jpeg
Had to peel 20lbs of crawfish for 2 lbs of tails but they were spicy and fatty. I knew we would be in for a treat!!
8F0A3980-B025-4C3A-B7CD-2F5CB6560EFD.jpeg
Ingredients all together and veggies prepped the night before.
65294673-3A53-4758-B60F-CAE6CD98F8AF.jpeg
6B98A24D-C25F-4B0C-942E-4DEAA3C49142.jpeg
96166695-817B-4666-AC08-0459B5BA8F32.jpeg
Ok I could have stopped here. This dressing is so delicious I wanted to top it with bread crumbs and bake in the oven, but I digress!
8ADA4A3D-FFBB-4A03-9FCD-EF03999DF5B1.jpeg
2CC730C0-711D-49C0-A187-40BBDE3F66AA.jpeg
F5BF7A42-65B5-4A25-BB6E-C08C974D9C50.jpeg
4FAA150C-C391-48DD-94D2-6F096E37D501.jpeg
575120F5-2973-45E1-A150-6E40FB094477.jpeg
Man, ya gotta make this stuff, it’s really really good!!

Now that's some great looking sausage and something I'd like try out, Like! I've always steered away from boudin due to seeing liver in just about every recipe. I'm not a big rice eater either, but rice goes well with seafood and that's when I do eat it. Liver? Never! Peeling 20 pounds of crayfish to get two pounds of meat must have been a labor of love, nice piece of work. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw and 73saint
Now that's some great looking sausage and something I'd like try out, Like! I've always steered away from boudin due to seeing liver in just about every recipe. I'm not a big rice eater either, but rice goes well with seafood and that's when I do eat it. Liver? Never! Peeling 20 pounds of crayfish to get two pounds of meat must have been a labor of love, nice piece of work. RAY
Yep, Ray, this is the boudin for you! No liver, nice clean, fresh taste. I absolutely love it. Next time I might try the Chinese crawfish tails, wait, no scratch that. I’ll stick with peeling!!

OMG. Looks crazy good! We gotta work out some kinda trade. Beef is cheap up here... Frozen packers for frozen mudbugs??? :emoji_laughing:
Look, that’s one positive I am seeing down here right now. Fire sale on fresh seafood.

Man that looks good! Might have to give it a go. US tails about $16 lb but worth it. I just did some crawfish cornbread. Good stuff. Wound go great with that sausage.

Reactions: 73saint
Man that looks good! Might have to give it a go. US tails about $16 lb but worth it. I just did some crawfish cornbread. Good stuff. Wound go great with that sausage.
Thanks Brian! You gotta try it, worth every penny and pretty easy to make.
One of the most delicious looking things I've seen on this site. If this ain't on the spinner yet then it should be
Thanks TN! Very much appreciated!

I am wanting to try this but have never stuffed sausage. Any tips doing it by yourself? I will have to dig out my attachments. Where to get some casings?

There are classes? I would like to partake in them. I have a cajun restaurant in Houston looking for new opportunities to cook up some classic dishes

There are classes? I would like to partake in them. I have a cajun restaurant in Houston looking for new opportunities to cook up some classic dishes
Hey Steven, yes there are classes. Just go to the website or Facebook page. The classes haven’t resumed since COVID, but they are supposed to be gearing back up next month.

Reactions: stevenau281
I am wanting to try this but have never stuffed sausage. Any tips doing it by yourself? I will have to dig out my attachments. Where to get some casings?
Brian I apologize, I missed this post. I buy my casings from butcher-packer, but you can get them from many places on line, like Walton’s and the sausage maker. Best advice I could give is get yourself a little lem mighty bite stuffer and watch some you tube videos on stuffing sausages. The more you stuff the better you get.

Brian I apologize, I missed this post. I buy my casings from butcher-packer, but you can get them from many places on line, like Walton’s and the sausage maker. Best advice I could give is get yourself a little lem mighty bite stuffer and watch some you tube videos on stuffing sausages. The more you stuff the better you get.
Found it thanks!

Last Sunday, I took a class at our local Southern Food and Beverage museum. It was all about boudin. Well, thanks to my pal indaswamp indaswamp , I already am set on traditional boudin, but I figured I may learn a thing or two anyway. Well, this crawfish boudin we made blew me away. I had to try and duplicate it. We paid $ for the class, but you guys have taught me so much, I had to share this with you. So here it is...Enjoy!!

View attachment 436900
View attachment 436901
Pretty much followed this recipe to the letter. I did add some liquid crawfish boil and some of the juice I saved from the crawfish tails. You are trying to create a dressing like texture. Also, disregard the written notes about kitchen bouquet; that was for another recipe.
View attachment 436888View attachment 436889
Had to peel 20lbs of crawfish for 2 lbs of tails but they were spicy and fatty. I knew we would be in for a treat!!
View attachment 436890
Ingredients all together and veggies prepped the night before.
View attachment 436892
View attachment 436891
View attachment 436893
Ok I could have stopped here. This dressing is so delicious I wanted to top it with bread crumbs and bake in the oven, but I digress!
View attachment 436894
View attachment 436895
View attachment 436897
View attachment 436898
View attachment 436896
Man, ya gotta make this stuff, it’s really really good!!
Just pulled the trigger on the lem machine. Lol. Where did you buy your casings at and which one did you buy? There's so many!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky