Layered Meatloaf W/ Peppers, Onions and Mozzarella Cheese. Mashed potatoes and Beef gravy ( long and lots of pic's )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Awesome job David! That looks like a plateful of heaven! Not sure if I could do more than one plate...who am I kidding, yes I would! But more than likely skip the ice cream...little more taters and gravy!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Layered Meatloaf W/ Peppers, Onions and Mozzarella Cheese. Served with mashed potatoes and Beef gravy

So had some time today between working in shop and not working in the yard. Saw a recipe about a layered meatloaf
and did not care for the fillers , so used what I liked and had on hand
Started with
1 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef
1 cup of sauce...3/4 Rotel and 1/4 Heinz ketchup
1 tea of dried oregano , rubbed in hands, for stronger flavor
2 egg
4 slices of bread , chopped up small
1 onion sliced
1/2 each green and red bell peppers
1 1/2 cup grated Mozza. cheese

Mix the meat, bread, oregano, half of the sauce, egg together in a bowl.
Saute the onion and peppers to just limp , than I added 1 egg and stirred and cooked . Just to help hold the veg for later. And divide into to sections.
View attachment 631153

View attachment 631155

View attachment 631154 View attachment 631156

With all the meat and ingredients mixed just to well blended ( not over mixed as it will make your loaf tough). Divide the mix into 2 parts . On parchment paper or what ever you have , make 2 rectangles of approx. 8" x 10' I used wax like the recipe said , it soaked through, hard to flip one of them. ( the red lines were so I could judge 8 x 10 approx.)
View attachment 631157

Add the veg and egg mix to the side of each meat flat, than add the cheese on top of that . Than fold over the side of each that has nothing on it and seal the edges by lightly pressing.
Than stack both sections. In hind site I could have added more items between these 2 pieces ....next time :emoji_sunglasses:

View attachment 631158

View attachment 631159

View attachment 631160

Once stacked I put in a pan with foil so I could shape better and than in the freezer for an hour to set and to hold shape while in the smoker. ( so it does not sag )

I have been told that someone is not that fussy about the smoked food . So being the fool... sorry the nice guy I am I made a single serve with out the Rotel and not smoked . So I wrapped it in foil and into the smoker also with the big one ....All mine he says with a grin.
Here is the baby one , single serve ( half a pound )

View attachment 631162 View attachment 631163

They are both pulled from the freezer as the smoker is up to 350 deg. and with Mesquite rolling. Once in the smoker it stayed around 300 -315 deg.

View attachment 631164 View attachment 631165

This took about 1 hour and 40 minutes, pulled at 163 deg.. beautiful colour and light crust

View attachment 631166

Took both inside and topped with the rest of the sauce mixture and rest of the cheese. Oh and Mona's sause was ketchup and brown sugar mix than cheese
It shrunk down to about 3" high and 8" long by almost 5" wide

View attachment 631167

View attachment 631168

Under the broiler for 8 minutes, Fantastic colour and smell, and the potatoes and gravy almost ready. let the loaf rest for few minutes

View attachment 631169

Sliced and nice layers and little smoke ring. I did not slice the little side kick as It's not mine lol

View attachment 631170
View attachment 631171

My plate with potatoes gravy and a little corn medley and mustard pickles. So good I even went in for seconds

View attachment 631172

View attachment 631173

So this is how it worked out . I know very long post . Everything was real good . But the Rotel was lacking something. Next time I think i will make my own sauce and step up the heat a little more.
But very happy and a full belly. What can I say love me some potatoes and gravy

David
Exelent idea! Love me some meatloaf with potatos and gravy and yours looks a killer. Now I want some. Too late today to get everything together but there is tomorrow.

Awesome job David! That looks like a plateful of heaven! Not sure if I could do more than one plate...who am I kidding, yes I would! But more than likely skip the ice cream...little more taters and gravy!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the like and the comment

It was very good Ryan, the smooth potatoes and the rich thick gravy slowly running over the sides of the potatoes and onto the plate and nicely soaked up by a big fork full of juicy meatloaf...... sorry got caught up in the moment, lol

Yes Ryan it was a 2 plate meal for sure

David

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Exelent idea! Love me some meatloaf with potatos and gravy and yours looks a killer. Now I want some. Too late today to get everything together but there is tomorrow.

Thanks for the like and the comment

It was a great meal, and a new twist for me on how a build a meatloaf. Was always just a loaf pan filled with the mix. Than when I found this place most of my meat loves turned into Fatties and than fatties with basket weaves. love this place and all the ideas I have gotten from everyone here

David

David, I will tell you in no uncertain terms that's the best looking meatloaf I've ever seen!! A truly spectacular creation that is 100% drool worthy. Excellent job sir and a fantastic presentation...and of course you have the mandatory mashed taters and gravy :emoji_wink:

Robert

David, I will tell you in no uncertain terms that's the best looking meatloaf I've ever seen!! A truly spectacular creation that is 100% drool worthy. Excellent job sir and a fantastic presentation...and of course you have the mandatory mashed taters and gravy :emoji_wink:

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

Very nice of you to say . It was a different take on the meat loaf and of coarse spuds and gravy.
I am going to step up the sauce more next time. As I remember or thought that Rotel had more of a kick to it.
But like most of us , love to change things anyway

David

Beautiful work on this! My aunt used to make it like this minus the smoke. It was the best meatloaf I ever had and I'm sure yours is just as good if not better! Thanks for posting this, it really brought back some good memories.

Beautiful work on this! My aunt used to make it like this minus the smoke. It was the best meatloaf I ever had and I'm sure yours is just as good if not better! Thanks for posting this, it really brought back some good memories.

Thanks Ringer for the like and the comment

Nice that it reminded you of good times and food from your family. The recipe that made me go this way was from a blog from a lady in Alberta , she has a lot of old time foods and new that even she puts a different twist on things " Good Food and Treasured Memories "

I will do this again , but like I mentioned different sauce and try different fillers

David

Late to the party David but that looks fire! Gonna give this a go soon. Nice work bud

Thanks Jake for the comment
loved the idea of 2 stacked loafs into 1 . So many ideas of what could be put in each or even between the 2.
no different than a stuffed meatloaf . But it's a nice presentation when sliced

Give it a whirl:emoji_cloud_tornado::emoji_cloud_tornado: Jake

David

Layered Meatloaf W/ Peppers, Onions and Mozzarella Cheese. Served with mashed potatoes and Beef gravy

So had some time today between working in shop and not working in the yard. Saw a recipe about a layered meatloaf
and did not care for the fillers , so used what I liked and had on hand
Started with
1 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef
1 cup of sauce...3/4 Rotel and 1/4 Heinz ketchup
1 tea of dried oregano , rubbed in hands, for stronger flavor
2 egg
4 slices of bread , chopped up small
1 onion sliced
1/2 each green and red bell peppers
1 1/2 cup grated Mozza. cheese

Mix the meat, bread, oregano, half of the sauce, egg together in a bowl.
Saute the onion and peppers to just limp , than I added 1 egg and stirred and cooked . Just to help hold the veg for later. And divide into to sections.
View attachment 631153

View attachment 631155

View attachment 631154 View attachment 631156

With all the meat and ingredients mixed just to well blended ( not over mixed as it will make your loaf tough). Divide the mix into 2 parts . On parchment paper or what ever you have , make 2 rectangles of approx. 8" x 10' I used wax like the recipe said , it soaked through, hard to flip one of them. ( the red lines were so I could judge 8 x 10 approx.)
View attachment 631157

Add the veg and egg mix to the side of each meat flat, than add the cheese on top of that . Than fold over the side of each that has nothing on it and seal the edges by lightly pressing.
Than stack both sections. In hind site I could have added more items between these 2 pieces ....next time :emoji_sunglasses:

View attachment 631158

View attachment 631159

View attachment 631160

Once stacked I put in a pan with foil so I could shape better and than in the freezer for an hour to set and to hold shape while in the smoker. ( so it does not sag )

I have been told that someone is not that fussy about the smoked food . So being the fool... sorry the nice guy I am I made a single serve with out the Rotel and not smoked . So I wrapped it in foil and into the smoker also with the big one ....All mine he says with a grin.
Here is the baby one , single serve ( half a pound )

View attachment 631162 View attachment 631163

They are both pulled from the freezer as the smoker is up to 350 deg. and with Mesquite rolling. Once in the smoker it stayed around 300 -315 deg.

View attachment 631164 View attachment 631165

This took about 1 hour and 40 minutes, pulled at 163 deg.. beautiful colour and light crust

View attachment 631166

Took both inside and topped with the rest of the sauce mixture and rest of the cheese. Oh and Mona's sause was ketchup and brown sugar mix than cheese
It shrunk down to about 3" high and 8" long by almost 5" wide

View attachment 631167

View attachment 631168

Under the broiler for 8 minutes, Fantastic colour and smell, and the potatoes and gravy almost ready. let the loaf rest for few minutes

View attachment 631169

Sliced and nice layers and little smoke ring. I did not slice the little side kick as It's not mine lol

View attachment 631170
View attachment 631171

My plate with potatoes gravy and a little corn medley and mustard pickles. So good I even went in for seconds

View attachment 631172

View attachment 631173

So this is how it worked out . I know very long post . Everything was real good . But the Rotel was lacking something. Next time I think i will make my own sauce and step up the heat a little more.
But very happy and a full belly. What can I say love me some potatoes and gravy

David
OMG, that looks amazing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky