Latkes/potato pancake HELP PLEASE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
We really love these but am not much luck nailing them. I mean they are edible but not there yet for all the effort I put into them. I have researched it enough to know the key is removing as much moisture from the potato and onion as possible. Yesterday I tried an idea I had and par boiled the potatoes (yukon gold) after grating with a little vinegar a few minutes and drain and rest in fridge to dry. Worked well and the taste drastically improved but they all fell apart. I added 2 tsp cornstarch and 2 eggs to 2lb tater but was not enough binder. Recipe I used call for no binder at all. I see some recipes call for various binders like more egg, matzo, flours, mashed tater and some don't at all. Also some using baking powders etc. What are you guys doing? No need to divulge any secret recipes but just some guidance. On the plus side, the kielbasa and kraut turned out killer.

Many thanks in advance.

Here is the link, but he didn't post the recipe, but I'm sure if you ask him, he will give it to you.
Al

Reactions: zwiller
Use a higher starch potato such as Russets.
"There's no question about it: Russets are hands down the best spuds for making latkes. They have a high starch content, which means your latkes are less likely to fall apart and you don't need flour to bind them"— epicurious article on making perfect latkes.
Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 8.36.13 AM.png

Here’s the potato pancake recipe my grandmother uses, it’s from a family cookbook we have.
8388CC6E-7866-4AF4-8EBA-3609AE06472A.jpeg

The potatoes are squeezed dry through a clean towel.

That is the same recipe I use except I use a large onion instead of a med one.

Nice! Most of the time she would use a food processor so the potatoes weren’t shredded but more even in texture.

We always liked canned peaches with ours.

She had an old hamilton beach food processor, the one where the controls were on a box and you would place the container over the spindle on the other side.

She would use the grater/shredder disc, the one with the holes in it. The potato batter would be a uniform consistency almost like a thicker oatmeal. We never had them like a shredded potato while growing up.

I betcha she still has that food processor, she’s well into her mid 90s and doesn’t cook all that much anymore, I’ll have to look for that processor next time I’m there.

Reactions: Steve H
PAYDIRT. Recipes PLUS a technique to test them. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting to see some patterns emerge... Russets/no peeling: I agree!/more onion/made much smaller than I did. Resting grated potatoes in water is new. Not mentioned in the recipes I used.

Something cool I learned yesterday was that white pepper really shines on these. You can use more as it has less heat than black.

HalfSmoked HalfSmoked Warren, Mom makes hers from mashed too. Maple syrup on hers.

Steve H Steve H FP all the way for me. Takes seconds and perfect results. I actually prefer a shredding disc over a grating disc. Had to learn that the hard way. https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/parts-and-accessories/details/dlc-834tx-1/ That said, some people might like the results of the grating disc but is too fine for me.

Ok so looks like I needed alot more binder since I cooked off the starch.

I used my grandmas recipe for over 30 years. Last year I found a youtube video that made me change some things. Of course removing as much water as possible is key, as is using russets. But the recipe in the video also added potato starch, which makes them extra crunchy. Corn starch would do similar, but it changes the flavor. Potato starch is readily available and makes these the best I've ever had.
Here's my adaptation of that recipe, and link to the video.

Recipe Ingredients:
2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
1 medium yellow onion
1 1/2 Tsp Coarse salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Vegetable oil for frying (use chicken fat if you have some)

From <>

Interesting conversation . I just made a batch last week to go with some bratwurst . Been using an old recipe from Grandma on my Dad's side . Card just says " German potato pancakes "
Potato , milk , flour and onion " liquid " . Salt , pepper . No eggs , no leavening agent .
I don't know , maybe she was getting by with what she had , but they go fast at the table .
20191222_190923.jpg

I used my grandmas recipe for over 30 years. Last year I found a youtube video that made me change some things. Of course removing as much water as possible is key, as is using russets. But the recipe in the video also added potato starch, which makes them extra crunchy. Corn starch would do similar, but it changes the flavor. Potato starch is readily available and makes these the best I've ever had.
Here's my adaptation of that recipe, and link to the video.

Recipe Ingredients:
2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
1 medium yellow onion
1 1/2 Tsp Coarse salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Vegetable oil for frying (use chicken fat if you have some)

From <>

This recipe is VERY similar to a potato pancake recipe I've made in the past. Crispy on the outside; fluffy on the inside. We're a gluten-free household, so potato starch is used here as the binder. These go great with sauerkraut or red cabbage & your favorite würst! :emoji_blush:
Bock_plate_lg.jpg

Reactions: Steve H and zwiller
Thanks again! I do have potato starch so I will try that. Mine basically end up like chopsaw chopsaw and while they are good, they are no where as good as I've had. IE once a year there is a big german event near me and the older ladies have a booth and sell these. Probably a few hundred years experience between them.. Man are they good! They actually give out the recipe (ingredients only) and it is very close to those posted (flour and egg) BUT as chef jimmyj chef jimmyj says in his post linked here, these are more about technique than recipe.

Here's some new takes: Instead of boiling, nuke the shredded potato. https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/crispiest-shredded-hash-browns.html

ALSO par boiling the potatoes BEFORE shredding. I already know that works killer for home fries but didn't think I would be able to shred them after. More to follow...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky