LATEST LONZA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Robert H

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
Good day
I did a batch of lonza awhile back and it is the first time using collagen sheet and also using mold 600. One piece finally dropped a bit over 30% weight loss and I could wait no longer. Well, I guess I could have, but it was calling me. After peeling the collagen off, I gave a cleanse with vinegar. There was a few spots on ends with some green mold , but not a lot. I think maybe the way I folded and bunched the sheet allowed it in. Not sure how others do this, maybe twisting? Thanks for all the tips and suggestions from everyone, this is absolutely the best I have ever made. . I have two other pieces hanging and will let them go to well past 40 %. I am pretty happy so far with the curing chamber I made, although I am already thinking of a bigger unit. The flavour is great, and the texture is silky smooth. The best thing is that although it is darker on the outside, there is very little case hardening. Salami in the near future!
20210619_152549.jpg
20210619_153135.jpg
20210619_154941.jpg

Nice. On my to do list. ..JJ

looks good... big difference in taste with the mold IMO. Those enzymes from the mold really enhance the flavor. Did you prick the collagen sheet after wrapping? It helps to have the surface slightly damp so the collagen sheet will stick. You can form it to the meat better....

Thanks for the kind words and likes. I did not prick them but it did occur to me that I should have while I was making some snacksticks a week or two later. I will do next time around.

Damn good effort. Patience is difficult as the target weights close in. I cut open a Finocciona today that was 39.3% weight loss, gave it a taste, and put it back in the chamber for some more drying. The more curing I do, the more I believe that 40% weight loss is the minimum for my tastes. Forty five is too much. Somewhere in the middle.

What's on your curing bucket list now?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky