Last minute ribs advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stoverr2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
I've decided at the last minute that I want to do some ribs, literally heading to the grocery store to pick some up in a few minutes. Any advice on temperatures?

I'll be getting either baby back or spare, not sure what kroger will have today. I'm using a Masterbuilt 40" propane smoker. I'll probably toss in a whole chicken as well, my wife prefers that to ribs.

Ideally I would have started yesterday on all of this, but plans for this evening have fallen through and I'm anxious to use my new smoker for something other than jerky and cheese.

I'd run your smoker at 250-265. Plan on 5 hours for baby backs, 6 hours for spares. Look into the 3-2-1 method for spares or the 2-2-1 for baby backs.

I would do 250.....
After the 4 hour mark start checking if they are done. Regardless of what method you use 2-2-1 or 3-2-1.

My ribs are usually done in 4.5 hours.

Last edited:
I'm going to try both. Have 3 racks on there now, unfortunately no time for a rub to really penetrate but it is what it is.

I'll foil two in about 2 hours and leave the other one nekkid. While these get rolling I'll spatchcock the two chickens I just picked up, again I'd like to have had more time for a brine or rub, but the way I see it, any smoked meat is better than no smoked meat!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky