Larger capacity electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ClimateSolutions

Original poster
Jan 29, 2022
Hey guys

My first time posting here, and thanks in advance for your help.

I've been using a Big Chief to smoke/dehydrate primarily beef jerky for the past 5 years. I've come to realize that this is the most entry level, basic smoker out there and it's now time to take a step up.

My problem is that I'd like an electric smoker that gives me a large capacity for jerky. The Big Chief has 5 racks, on which I can just squeeze in 6lbs of meat, takes about 8 to 12 hrs depending on outdoor temperature.

I'd love to double that capacity, plus lower my cook time with a more efficient, quality, insulated smoker, while still using wood chips or something similar.

The advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I personally dont own one but I've seen a lot of good stuff about smokin it smokers. Idk what your price range is but I'd take a look at those. I have a MES30 that I use periodically and have never had an issue with over the last 6 years.

Welcome to SMF from SE Ga.
Can't help with your search but I'm sure someone will be along to help!
I have the MES 40 and have had no problems with it.

Keith

Reactions: ClimateSolutions
Welcome! There are a lot of different options and a huge variety used here. Can you be more specific on your budget and if you want to do anything else besides jerky?

I have a Smokin-It #3 and do 7-10# of jerky in it without crowding. I do load a stainless skewer up and lay them across a rack. Drys faster and more evenly than laying the strip on the racks. The Smokin-It does need help with air exchange by using a small fan because it is so airtight. I get most batches dried in 5-6 hours without getting meat over 120 deg.

Attachments

• Jerky Hanging.jpg
    Jerky Hanging.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Jerky fan 3.jpg
    Jerky fan 3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: dr k
I have a Smokin-It #3 and do 7-10# of jerky in it without crowding. I do load a stainless skewer up and lay them across a rack. Drys faster and more evenly than laying the strip on the racks. The Smokin-It does need help with air exchange by using a small fan because it is so airtight. I get most batches dried in 5-6 hours without getting meat over 120 deg.
Nice! I use a tent fan that is sealed and uses 4 D D/C batteries that sits ton top of a 6" PVC coupling. $15 for the fan at Aldi three years ago and have a back up lol. No vents to gum up the motor. The flex wet suit prop isn't for hot smoking just cold and the batteries will last years if for just that usage. I remove them over the slower winter months. It turns my grill gazebo into a huge cook top vent on stagnant days. I don't use liquids in any pan and never have in my insulated Mes 40 and 30. Do Smoken it, Cook shack and Smoken Tex even come with a water pan, if you or anyone else knows? So many FB sites are steaming the crap outta their Mes that the paint peels on the inside of the seal on the door jamb with black seasonong running down the legs of the somker

I've been using a Big Chief to smoke/dehydrate primarily beef jerky for the past 5 years. I've come to realize that this is the most entry level, basic smoker out there and it's now time to take a step up.
Welcome aboard.

rEVgkHr.jpg

The 'Chief' line of smokers are wonderful 'flavor smokers' for many things to be finished on another pit or the oven..., but they excel for fish and jerky. Maybe try 50% smoker time and 50% dehydrator time? Do all you can to keep a Chief in your arsenal.

66rbU.jpg
ZQhI5eV.jpg
AAEySg0.jpg
BTW, I got my Little Chief in 1975, and added a Big Chief in 1980. I've used the BC twice this week.

Smokin-It often includes a "Savor-Flavor" stainless container for water/juices. But I have never used mine, meat just doesn't dry out even on a 12-14 hour cook. Have to use the fan.
The one I use is 23 cfm airflow and AC so no batteries needed.

Welcome! There are a lot of different options and a huge variety used here. Can you be more specific on your budget and if you want to do anything else besides jerky?

Thanks for the response.

Mainly I want to do beef jerky only at the moment. So I want to make my decisons based on that. Sure there's a possibility of cooking/smoking other meats in the future, but expandability/versatility in specific regards to other types of food would be a secondary concern.

Budget wise, I'm willing to spend up $700 maybe a bit more for something that will:

1. Insulated better so I can smoke/dehydrate more jerky at a time
2. Larger capacity to handle the larger amount

Reactions: bauchjw
Budget wise, I'm willing to spend up $700 maybe a bit more for something that will:

1. Insulated better so I can smoke/dehydrate more jerky at a time
2. Larger capacity to handle the larger amount
Insulation doesn't always work in your favor when smoking cheese, butter or jerky, and specifically with jerky.... you are flavoring it, and drying it for the first couple of hours, then monitoring it for your personal level of doneness . I don't know if you have tried the easiest 'Chief' modification, the company used to recommend this method, I'm not sure if they still do or not. They are basically using the 'Chief' as a smoke generator and the distance cools the smoke.
fG9v5uc.jpg
4fVojnJ.jpg
On the other hand, I've done some inexpensive mods for winter smoking.
LUhDqhc.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky