Large Vendor Event - Food Holding

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's funny that you say that, I was actually thinking of giving the entire thing a good coat of paint when I finish with mine.

I think you would get a bit of respect and admiration from Grandpa.
Show's you care, and respect him. Tightens bonds.

I managed to find a couple used 4 tray Cambros on ebay, and haggled the seller down to $100 a piece. Shipping was extremely high, but I still saved a bit compared to buying new. I really wasn't planning on buying them right now, but after weighing in the cost for the 3 days I'd need to pay to rent from the party supply, the ones I bought are paid for after two events of using them.

Good planning if you are going to continue to do this and you can always resell them. The learning lesson of it cost to be in business. But you are building an equipment inventory.

Warren

I was contacted by someone from the event I’m doing in October today, she just had some questions and advice for my first outing. She also reminded me of a few guidelines I needed to follow. I’m required to have a hand washing station, which I knew about, but apparently I was wrong in the assumption that I could get away with the water not being warm.

So now I’m trying to figure out the best way to maintain warm water without shelling out a ton of money. One thought I had was to use a sterno setup to maintain warm water. And just gauge the temp and snuff out or relight as needed. I haven’t seen any self contained was stations that are heated, that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

Any thought?

I would suggest back to the rental center they have hot beverage transports that will keep water hot. They are used for coffee and the like. Also my health dept requires a spout that will stay open not a push button type. This warm water deal is new in the last year here.

Warren

Reactions: darrin maxey
I'll be using this old gal until I build my smoker this fall/winter. My Grandpa and his brother built this nearly 30 years ago and it's been put through it's paces many a time. Yea, I'm figuring a 50% loss per butt, which turns out to be a good way to not underserve. It's gonna be a ton of sandwiches depending on how large of portion I do.
I always use a 4oz. ice cream scoop so i can control serving size plus for the little bit extra i get the 4 1/2 inch buns instead of the 4" I use 3 turkey roasters

Last edited:
I was contacted by someone from the event I’m doing in October today, she just had some questions and advice for my first outing. She also reminded me of a few guidelines I needed to follow. I’m required to have a hand washing station, which I knew about, but apparently I was wrong in the assumption that I could get away with the water not being warm.

So now I’m trying to figure out the best way to maintain warm water without shelling out a ton of money. One thought I had was to use a sterno setup to maintain warm water. And just gauge the temp and snuff out or relight as needed. I haven’t seen any self contained was stations that are heated, that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

Any thought?
Here we need a hand wash station we use a 5 gallon gott water just that has had the spout changed so it will stay open with holding the button down you could put boiling water in there in the morning and be good all day we are required to have a bucket of soapy water and a bucket with a disinfectant in it ( 1 cap of bleach per gallon) i just go by walmart and get 2 gallon jugs of water usually Ice Mountain because of the screw off lid then I can reuse the jug the next day

Any thought?

Maybe you could hunt down someone else who goes there and see what they use to get by the requirements?

Meanwhile, what is in the Outhouses at the venue? Bet it's just cold water in there. :rolleyes:
Any Chem Toilet I've been in, that actually did have a sink, had cold water in them. o_O

Here we need a hand wash station we use a 5 gallon gott water just that has had the spout changed so it will stay open with holding the button down you could put boiling water in there in the morning and be good all day we are required to have a bucket of soapy water and a bucket with a disinfectant in it ( 1 cap of bleach per gallon) i just go by walmart and get 2 gallon jugs of water usually Ice Mountain because of the screw off lid then I can reuse the jug the next day

What we’ve dreamed up is using a 5gallon container for clean water, sprayer pump, a small under sink hot water heater, to the faucet and sink. From there it drains into a bucket for the grey water. Gonna put it together this weekend.

Maybe you could hunt down someone else who goes there and see what they use to get by the requirements?

Meanwhile, what is in the Outhouses at the venue? Bet it's just cold water in there. :rolleyes:
Any Chem Toilet I've been in, that actually did have a sink, had cold water in them. o_O

Can’t really do hunt someone down, because this is actually the first year the vendors are required to supply their own individual stations.

Can't agree with find an easy way to get by it will haunt you and could get you shut down. :eek:
Maybe the inspector was nice that time but may not be this time.

Another thing they ask is how do you depose of the waste water tell them you dump it in the porta potty. You can't just empty it on the ground.

Warren

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky