Large Group and Rib Fest Cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron petersen

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Watford City, ND
Hope this is the place to post. I am currently building a RF cooker and will be starting my first large cook for 80 people. I'll be doing just baby back ribs in June, July and August I'll be doing Rib Fest Competition.

I am looking for ideas and suggestions for cooking for a large group. The 80 person group I'll be doing 100 pounds of ribs. Assuming that brings about 35 racks or so.

The Rib Fest minimum will need to be 200 pounds, but I may just double that due to the majority of competitors running out of ribs. There were over 1000 people showing up and a lot of them bought several ribs from others. Gets bigger each year.

My question is, what is the best way to cook a LOT of ribs at one time. I am thinking of building a rib rack to hold maybe 18 racks per rack. My cooking racks are little over 5' each.

Will this still keep me in the 3-2-1 method? Wasn't sure if the timing will stay due to the extra "cold" meat.

I have always done great with the 2-2-1 method.

I am hoping that my warming box will keep good temps while doing the first 3 hours, that way the first smoked ribs can be foil rapped and transferred to the WB to finish, the last hour would be BBQ sauced and back on the cooking grates and waiting to be served.

Most I have done was 13 racks in my 120 gal RF cooker and it turned out great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can PM me if needed,

Thank You in Advance

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky