Landjäger - Fat Leaching Through Casing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Saline_Smoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
Saline, MI
Hey all,

So I've been curing and drying whole muscle a la pancetta, speck, and coppa for a bit - love it! I recently got a grinder and have now started down the path of fermented dried sausage. I recently made a batch of Landjäger and have a question about what I'm pretty sure is fat leaching out through the casings and creating a schmear on the outside. That said, it's only accumulating where the sausages are touching/near each other in the links. Pictures below for reference.

Is this normal? Is this just a case of wiping it off and carrying on? Is there a way to avoid this in the future? Is the solution just not to link them in this manner?

Any sage wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Both the Marianski books I have don't divulge much in the way of troubleshooting.

Additional info for reference (if useful): the recipe is the Marianskis' save I didn't flatten them, cold smoked for 6 hours, these are currently at 16% weight loss, relative humidity is a steady 78%, steady temp of 54ºF.

IMG_7666.jpeg
IMG_7667.jpeg
IMG_7669.jpeg

Last edited:
They look good... I don't think they should be touching each other... The casing can't dry properly... Flattening helps them to uniformly dry faster...

Reactions: Saline_Smoker
Dave is right. With them touching, they can't dry where they are touching. That's the issue tying them like that.

Separate them if you can.

Reactions: Saline_Smoker
Yeah, makes sense as it’s only where the links are next to each other, and the ‘outside’ looks normal. I’ll just unlink them, give ‘em a wipe down and carry on. Didn’t even dawn on me when making them that linking like a fresh sausage may not be the best idea for drying. I’ll make sure to give an update later on for the collective good/future reference. Thank you, sir. Greatly appreciated.

I just unlinked ‘em and gave them a good wipe down to remove the schmear. I’ll grab some boards and the quick grips to flatten them out - it’s an unusually (yet perfectly) cool night here for it - and rehang them in the morning. Quicker to dry, quicker to snacking. Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky