Lamb Stuffed Onions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
These are a tasty Middle Eastern dish of delicious lamb and goat cheese wrapped in onion skins and baked.
Being an Afghani dish it makes use of fresh chopped coriander and lots of Garam Masala to season the lamb, and it's further infused with the onion.

Lamb Stuffed Onions
2-3 large white or yellow onions
2lbs ground lamb
1-1/2c cooked basmati rice
8oz crumbled goat cheese (Feta optional)
1c bell pepper, diced
1/2c raisins or 1c diced prunes.
1c chopped fresh coriander
2T minced garlic
2T garam masala seasoning
1t Salt
Black pepper
Olive oil

Cook 3/4c of Basmati rice, set the 2-1/4c cooked rice aside.
You can make more if you like, and serve the onions over rice.

Peel the onions, trim each end and make a cut halfway thru one side.
Place in large/deep pot of boiling water until they start to soften, transfer to a dish until cool enough to handle and carefully peel the layers apart intact.
I used two very large white onions and got twelve skins of varying size, worked out almost perfect for the amount of filling this recipe makes.

ukgacB4.jpg

Add 3T of olive oil to a frying pan and brown the lamb over high heat.
Add the rice, raisins, bell pepper, garlic, Garam masala and salt.
Mix well, lower heat to medium and cook for five minutes more.
Allow lamb mix to cool a bit and then mix in the goat cheese and chopped coriander.

WNgdsS1.jpg

Preheat the oven to 350°.
Coat the bottom of a casserole dish with a thin layer of olive oil.
Fill each onion skin with the just enough of the lamb mix to allow for a little seam overlap.
Place seam side down in dish.

fyOZEuA.jpg

Cover dish tightly with a double layer of aluminum foil and bake for one hour.
Uncover, spoon drippings over top of onions and then season liberally with coarse ground black pepper.
Switch oven to high broil and finish uncovered till onions start to brown, being very careful not to burn them.

LJs7WhB.jpg

The Money Shots
Served with Garlic Green Beans and Roasted New Potatoes with Herbs

Ku3sM5t.jpg

XiHvL6p.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful plate Chile! Love I absolutely love Middle Eastern flavors. I’ve not seen this particular dish before. I’m saving this to see if I can make a Keto version for sure.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Beautiful plate Chile! Love I absolutely love Middle Eastern flavors. I’ve not seen this particular dish before. I’m saving this to see if I can make a Keto version for sure.
Thanks, it was pretty tasty, another fan here too.
I'm sure with your skills you can make it work.

Reactions: jcam222
Dang that looks good! Never seen this dish before. We have the garam masala on hand and lamb....hmmmm. I should be making this this week! Lol

Dang that looks good! Never seen this dish before. We have the garam masala on hand and lamb....hmmmm. I should be making this this week! Lol
Thank you.
Go for it, if not these, perhaps try these...

Looks pretty darn tasty from my viewer. Well done John

Point for sure
Chris

Dayum John!! Those look absolutely fantastic!! Being that we both love onions...served in pretty much any way, I bet we'd tear up a platter of those. Please excuse me sir but I have every intention of stealing this one :emoji_laughing:

Robert

CR, WOW!, They look incredible!
Too kind, thanks CM.
Looks to be bursting with flavor, another great piece of work Chile, Like! RAY
Thanks Ray, it's good stuff.
The spice's flavors are so different and enjoyable.
Dayum John!! Those look absolutely fantastic!! Being that we both love onions...served in pretty much any way, I bet we'd tear up a platter of those. Please excuse me sir but I have every intention of stealing this one :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Muchos gracias Roberto!
You can't steal what is freely shared.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky