Lamb shoulder chops?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Edude273

Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
Picked up some shoulder chops at the butcher today. You think if I smoke em like I would a whole shoulder but shorter time they will turn out good or should I just short smoke em to 145 or so?

I would brine them for 3 or 4 hours first, season as you wish, and then smoke them to an IT of 140 degrees.

I'm about to start a thread on these with qview. Basically, treat it like a pork shoulderblade steak. I got a bunch for 2.99/lb, and I tried 3 ways, currently trying a 4th:
1. Smoked to 110 internal temp then seared on hot grill for 90 seconds each side to bring it to 130 internal temp. Good.
2. Same as #1 with a buttermilk brine a la Jeff's website. Great results.
3. Braised. No smoke, just seared and braised in red wine, garlic, and other things. Extremely tender, delicious. Best way so far.
4. Right now, I have some that I've buttermilk-brined, smoked to 140 internal temp, and now I'm braising for 1.5 hours. I think this will yield the best result.

Good luck, I hope that helped!

EDIT: Here's the thread I said I'd do.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky