Labor Day Meat Loaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
Well folks,

Lots of you are doing brisket and butts and ribs. I did a brisket on Saturday. Today, the boss said that she wanted to try smoked meat loaf. I did it in August when she was visiting her family and there was none left (he he) when she got back.

The weather here is cloudy and 55F. I am posting a picture of a tree in the back yard that has started to turn to it's fall colors.

leaves090406ty5.jpg

Here is the loaf in the smoker. I using a mix of cherry and old wine barrel oak chunks. There are a couple ABTs and some stuffed green bell peppers under the loaf. I'm practicing the stuffed bell peppers. I will be having my department from the school district where I work over for a "staff meeting" on the 29th. One person is a vegetarian, so I need to smoke something for her. I guess I get to eat any mistakes.

loaf1090406ga2.jpg

I will post pics of the finished product if we don't eat it all first.

Regards,

Meowey

Last edited:
Pretty picture, good looking food. Great idea on the stuffed pepper. Let us know how it turns out. Have a great day!!

What did you stuff the bell's with meowey? I've been wanting to try making traditional stuffed peppers in the smoker. I think they would turn out nice. I had thought about just making my meatloaf recipe and filling the peppers with it. Problem is that I always tend to go with brisket or butts because I have limited opportunites to smoke. I think that my change though with the new GOSM. Easier, quicker, and more room than the 'ol Brinkmann, plus I don't have devote so much time to it that I can't do other things while I'm smoking.

The pepper stuffing is a cup of instant rice (cooked), 8 oz of tomato sauce and a half packet of chilli seasoning mix, and some shredded 4 cheese mexican blend. We'll see if I like it. They seem to be cooking nicely in the smoker.

Meowey

You have some good lookin grates there Meowey, but you may want to consider moving those pepper's from under the meat, for the vegetarian.

You can also try adding vegetarian meat to your mixture. or maybe Tofu...

Talk to me Ice, the wife is needing to incorporate more soy into her diet. Tell me how to smoke Tofu or any other veggie type stuff like that. :?:

Meowey,

I had to chuckle when I saw your meat loaf with the two probes. It looked a little like Frankenstein waiting for a jump start. :lol:

Step daughters grew up vegetarians. There are a lot of products on the market that are meat substitute, the more famous being tofu. It comes firm as well as soft, and will pick up the flavor of whatever it is cooked with.

There is a product called crumbles. It is a meat substitue I used for things like hambure helper. Also there are the garden burgers. There is always at least 1 pkg of this product in my freezer for the days she is over with the baby and wants something to eat.

Chili seasoning and mexican blend cheese. Now that is neat idea for stuffed peppers. Maybe taco meat seasoning. Mexican, is a close second to Q for my favorite food. Great, now I have no idea what I want in my peppers.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

The bell peppers were fantastic. I may tweak it a little by adding some sweated onions to the rice mix.

Oillogger,

Yea, that looks funny. The second probe was hung in front of where the GOSM's thermo is. I'm trying to tweak the built in thermo a little. I got it to within 5 degrees.

I used the tofu crumbles last spring for the "department meeting" when I made cincinnatti style chili for the crowd. I think these bell peppers will fit the bill nicely.

Now for the pictures!!!

Finished Loaf
loaf2090406zo7.jpg

Sliced
loaf3090406yz5.jpg

loaf4090406sf5.jpg

Plated with stuffed bell pepper and an ABT
loaf5090406wb8.jpg

Hope you all have had a good Labor Day!

Meowey

The Boss is always right! Awesome meatloaf bro :shock: and ya gotta love those stuffed peppers. Yummy!!!!!

I have never been a meatloaf fan...But boy that looks good. I am going to have to try it for my wife. She loves meatloaf, but hardly ever fixes it, cause I don't care for it. Maybe I can surprise her and try one in the smoker. I have never cared for baked hamburger and especially any that has baked ketchup on top of it...But maybe I can do the Heinz 57 style.
I would also like some alternatives to the stuffed peppers. I love Bell Peppers, so would like to come up with some ideas on what to fill them with to add to the smoked meatloaf and perhaps a cooking time...
Any help greatly appreciated.
Steve

swalker

This meatloaf started life as 2.25 lbs of 80% gr beef. I cracked 1 egg into the big mixing bowl, added 1 packet of onion soup mix, 1/3 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup water, along with a shot of worchestershire and whisked. I then put the beef in and mixed with my hands. I added enough bread crumbs to get the texture I wanted.

The glaze is about 1/3 cup ketchup with 1tbl of brown sugar, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 tsp of nutmeg, and one shake of paprika. Whisked and then thinned with a shot of worchestershire and enough of my 3 to 1 mix of apple juice and Jack Daniels (that I usually use to spray my pork butts) to get a thinner viscosity for thin brushing. I brushed it over the loaf every 1/2 hour after the internal temp was above 100F. I smoked to about 145F internal and pulled from the smoker ar 160F internal.

I hope you try it.

The peppers were stuffed with 1 cup cooked rice mixed with 8 oz tomato sauce, 1/2 packet of chili seasoning and about 1/3 cup 4 cheese mexican blend.

The loaf took about 5 hours at 225F. The peppers were in the smoker about 4 hours.

Meowey

Thank you very much. I want to give this a try...Especially the stuffed peppers.......

Thanks again for the advice/help.

Steve

Meowey..

All the food looks great...it's been a while since I have done a meatloaf...it's a wonderfull thing.. the power of suggestion...

Now... as far as that tree of yours...IT'S TOO EARLY FOR THAT CHIT!!!!!!!!!

Richard

Meowy they look great...your plate is definitely looking like a hungry mans plate...How long was your meatloaf in the smoker? I've done it once before but I can't remember how long. I'm thinking about having the hubby throw one in one after noon this week since I don't get done until 6, I was thinking like 4 hours...

The loaf was 2.25 lbs of 80% gr beef. It was in the smoker at 225-240F for about 5 hours. Noon should work.

Enjoy!

Meowey

Thanks Meowey,
I am going to try it this weekend. My wife is a real good one. So if I mess things up, she will thank me for trying...hehe!!! She also won't believe I am trying a meatloaf. I want to try some of the stuffed peppers too. I figure if nothing else, I can eat a couple of those.

Thanks again, Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky