Korean BBQ Pork Belly Feast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Going through the freezer the other day I found some partially cooked pork belly that needed used up. Decided Korean style BBQ sounded good so built a menu around it.

Appetizer
  • Keto Sushi
    • Veggie roll
    • Shrimp roll
    • Spicy crab roll
Main Course

Korean glass noodle stir fry (Japjae)
Okonomiyaki with BBQ Pork belly and sprouts
Spicy Kimchi

Started out yesterday making the Korean BBQ sauce.
  • 1 1/2 cups low sodium Tamari
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1 3/4 cups Swerve Brown
  • 4 TBSP minced garlic
  • 3 TBSP rice vinegar
  • 2 TBSP spicy chili garlic sauce
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp xanthan gum to thicken
Start by cooking the garlic a bit in some oil and then just add the rest of ingredients. Simmer for 15 minutes and add xanthan gum at the end to thicken. 1/2 tsp should do the trick. Note it thickens up quite a bit when it cools. The ingredients above are the basic ingredients. I usually manipulate it a little to taste. I did not take a pic of the finished sauce. If you use full sodium tamari I would do 1 cup tamari to 1 cup water.

Next up is the Japjae done keto style using Miracle Noodle angel hair style.

• 2 6 oz. packages Miracle Noodle angel hair
  • 5 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup tamari
  • 4 tsp regular Swerve
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 1/2 cup finely chopped brocolli
  • 1 1/2 cups red pepper cut in matchsticks
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped green onion (greens and white)
noodle ingredients.jpg

The key to using konjac root based noodle substitutes is to rinse them really well in cold water, soak them in cold water for about 20 minutes and then boil for 2 or 3 minutes and drain. This completely removes the somewhat funky ammonia smell that turns many people off to them. After draining you dry them in a pan on medium heat. Done right they have no smell at all after prep. The angel hair type is a great sub for Korean glass noodles as they are also somewhat transparent.

miracle angel hair.jpg

First up put a few TBSP of oil ( I used avocado oil) and toast the garlic and ginger. Next I cooked the adding more avocado oil as needed. I started with the broccoli then peppers adding in mushrooms and green onion last. When the veggies are ready stir in the noodles and the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.

noodles finished 2.jpg

Time to get the pork belly going. I cubed the two small pieces I had and put them in my Instant Pot. Next added about 5 tbsp of the Korean bbq to hot water, stirred and poured over the meat. I set the Instant Pot to manual for 20 minutes. Once it was done I let it naturally release for about 15 minutes then opened it up. Next I will crisp and glaze it. It is very tender now.

leftover pork belly.jpg

I tossed the pork belly chunks in the bbq sauce and put them in a medium hot cast iron skilled to set the glaze and brown the outside. Took me a bit to get the temp right so it didn't look like I was burning down the house lol. Sugar substitute loves to burn just like real sugar. These looked so tasty I of course had to sample a couple. Finished them off with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.

pork belly ends finished.jpg

The okonomiyaki is a recipe I found online that came out awesome. It is basically like a Korean cabbage pancake. I wanted to make these to serve the pork belly on along with some bean sprouts. Here is the recipe for the okonomiyaki.

• 2 TBSP butter softened
  • 2 TBSP cream cheese softened
  • 4 TBSP almond flour
  • 2 TBSP flax meal
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 oz. shredded cabbage
Mix the butter and cream cheese and once smooth (nuke if necessary) add the two eggs. Once that is mixed well add the dry ingredients , mix well and then mix in the cabbage. Fry these in a well oiled skillet. I did use a non stick pan for this. This made 3 nice servings.

Okonomiyaki.jpg

For the sushi I used Miracle rice (again konjac based) Prepared 3 packs as detailed on the noodles. This will not get nice and stick and pack like sushi rice so you have to blend it with some cream cheese and avocado. I softened and mixed about 8 oz. cream cheese that I creamed together with one large very soft avocado. Next you mix in the miracle rice. For fillings i cut some cucumber, avocado and red bell pepper. I also had some popcorn shrimp and crab meat. I mixed the crab meat with mayo and some chili garlic sauce to make a spicy crab filling. Spread the "rice" mix on the Nori , add other ingredients and roll. I forgot to take pics of the finished rolls but it rolled nicely. Considering I haven't had sushi since I started keto a year and a half ago this hit the spot. I will however say I plan on working further with this to get a better recipe. I want a better texture as this is pretty "cream cheesey" from a texture standpoint. Flavor was great. I think I can work hemp seed hearts into this next time to make for a better texture.

Ok my wife tells me she is starving and asking if it's ready yet. I start her out with the sushi and since I promised her a 5 star meal experience I took a bit of time to plate it nicely.
sushi4.jpg

The sushi lasted her long enough for me to get the rest ready. Final items while she was having sushi I cooked some canned bean sprouts quickly with some garlic and sesame oil and warmed up some premade spicy kimchi. I added some cooked sprouts to the Okonomiyaki and the the pork belly surrounded by a moat of the bbq lol. Garnished with some sesame seed and scallions. The glass noodles and kimchi as sides

plated2.jpg

My wife's favorite part of the meal was the noodles and they are very good. Mine of course was the pork belly. It was very rich and succulent served on the Okonomiyaki. I will be making those again too.

Well that's a wrap, thanks for looking all!!

Last edited:
Once again, WOW! Absolutely stunning.
I wasted my day helping my neighbor install a new garage door ...
and guiding him through smoking two 4 bone short rib slabs. (He shared, btw.)
Started out yesterday making the Korean BBQ sauce.
  • 1 1/2 cups low sodium Tamari
  • 1/2 cup of water ...
If you use full sodium tamari I would do 1 cup tamari to 1 cup water.
Have you tried coconut aminos? Excellent way to add the umami of tamari and limit the sodium. I discovered it years ago working with my wife's dietary restrictions.

Reactions: jcam222
Have you tried coconut aminos? Excellent way to add the umami of tamari and limit the sodium. I discovered it years ago working with my wife's dietary restrictions.
Thanks ! I’ve used them a bit. When I do I usually do a 50/50 blend of tamari and coconut Amino.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Wow again!

I'm really hungry for sushi now, Jeff. The plating looks fantastic. I see the bird and butterfly surrounding all that good food.

Like!

Reactions: jcam222
Looks delicious lol you are a mad scientist for sure. Nice looking meal!
Wow. What a meal. Looks amazing!
Absolutely beautiful plating ( as usual). It all looks amazing !! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
DANG!
DOUBLE DANG!
Simply outstanding, you sir keep impressing the hell outta me.
I want a bowl of those noodles, they look so good and pile about six pieces of PB on too.
:emoji_heart_eyes:
Excellent!
Wow again!

I'm really hungry for sushi now, Jeff. The plating looks fantastic. I see the bird and butterfly surrounding all that good food.

Like!
This is perfect! Saved for later to try. Looks great!
Damnit Jeff that looks so good! It must take you all day to make this stuff. Big points buddy that is just unreal!
Thanks guys! This one was a winner for sure. Love the Korean BBQ sauce. Have a nice stash of it left. The Keto sushi needs more work before I’ll be satisfied.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky