Knife sharpener

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Morning all. The other day I was going through our knife collection. And it ranges from ultra cheapies to better quality blades. And some of them are in rough shape. No major dings. But quite dull. I have a decent set of Arkansas stones and some rods. But, I wanted something that could give me a decent edge with little effort. So, I found this.
Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener.

sharpener.jpg

It is a three stage grinder. Interesting idea with the blade guide adjustment and all.
Reviews are very good. And the price wasn't bad. Should be here in a few days. I'll follow up with my thoughts after I use it.

Reactions: JC in GB
Work Sharp are by far the best elect. Sharpeners made that I have ever used. 4-10 passes even if the knife is brutally dull and you can shave with your knives. You can find them on sale from time to time for $69 at Northern Tools, and buy the Ken Onion version it's adjustable and much better built and it won't round the tip or put a belly in the heal of your blades.
upload_2019-9-14_2-5-52.jpeg

Last edited:
Work sharp here, I keep them tuned with a carbide rod but when it needs a real sharpening job Work Shop is the best for me.

Reactions: forktender
I use an old Forschner fine oval diamond sharpening steel and an old Forschner steel that my grandma used in her restaurant for years and years to keep the edge aligned between sharpening.

Reactions: uncle eddie
Work Sharp are by far the best elect. Sharpeners made that I have ever used. 4-10 passes even if the knife is brutally dull and you can shave with your knives. You can find them on sale from time to time for $59 at Northern Tools, and buy the Ken Onion version it's adjustable and much better built and it won't round the tip or put a belly in the heal of your blades.
View attachment 405776

I have to AGREE the best,I use to keep my knives like razors,then a little arthritis made it very hard to maintain them.the work sharp keeps them sharp
Richie

I have to AGREE the best,I use to keep my knives like razors,then a little arthritis made it very hard to maintain them.the work sharp keeps them sharp
Richie
Richie, my hands are a crumpled mess from using pipe/tubing cutters and Channel locks/adjustable water pump pliers every day for many years. I agree, I couldn't keep my knifes as sharp as I like them with a stone anymore either. I love these things, heck I sharpen peoples knifes for money using the Ken onion Work Sharp these days instead of on a wet stones like I used to. And it's 100X quicker and easier and nobody notices the difference in their knifes, I've never had one come back or one single complaint.

Reactions: tropics
I have half a dozen sharpeners, but my K.O. Work Sharp gets the most use.
A sharp knife can be like a scalpel in minutes.
And a dull edge can be the same in less than 10 minutes.
Even heavily damaged blades with rolls and chips can be reworked and made like new with ease.

Last edited:
I use a KME, from everything to pocket knives to 12” slicer.
Small learning curve but razor sharp results. I use a diamond steel until the need to refine the edge on the KME.

I have a Chefs Choice similar to that Steve, works excellent on thinner blade, and hunting knives. Haven't used my good knives on it yet( just a steel so far ). Have been thinking about the workstations for more versatility. Scissors, lawn mower blades, etc.

By the way Al, how has your sharpening (hobby/ side job) been doing?
Hope things are good...

I saw the work sharp ones. Decided Not to get that because I didn't want my wife to try to use it.

Work Sharp are by far the best elect. Sharpeners made that I have ever used. 4-10 passes even if the knife is brutally dull and you can shave with your knives. You can find them on sale from time to time for $59 at Northern Tools, and buy the Ken Onion version it's adjustable and much better built and it won't round the tip or put a belly in the heal of your blades.
View attachment 405776
I can't see them putting the KO edition on sale for $59? That is $129 on their site. Maybe the regular $69 model but the KO?

I bought K.O. Work Sharp about 3 month ago and love it. I started looking at this sharpener approximately one and a half years ago, waiting that it's price goes down. Never happened - spent $129 and no regrets whatsoever....

This $7 tool from Walmart keeps them sharp. Sometimes I use a sharpening steel as well.

IMG_0177.jpg

The sharpeners talked about above are nice, especially if you have a pile of dull knives to do.

The gun shows I attend from time to time will ALWAYS have at least one knife sharpening booth...and they often have a Work Sharp or similar. People will drop of a whole bag of blades and they usually charge $1 - $3 per blade to sharpen them depending on the size of the blade.

I bought K.O. Work Sharp about 3 month ago and love it. I started looking at this sharpener approximately one and a half years ago, waiting that it's price goes down. Never happened - spent $129 and no regrets whatsoever....

I paid $86 for the K.O. on an Amazon daily deal. (Dec. of 18). I had been looking at them for a couple years but never pulled the trigger at full Amazon price.

Keep an eye on the Amazon daily deal. Every once in a while you can score pretty good.

The W/S Ken Onion with the added sharpening attachment is the only way to go. Way more control over the sharpening, and no more grinding down the belly of the knives since you can go fully from bolster to tip of the blade

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky