Knew that hot plate would be good for somthin'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dsrt_dwllr

Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
San Jose, California
It was cold outside, at least for Northern California, and it was definately wet. What was a guy to do with an 8 pound butt? Well unfortunately it was my first one, and since I joined this place, with you all posting the glory of a well smoked and pulled pork butt, I didn't want to wait. So at midnight I decided to go for the gold, or brown as it were, and use a hot plate with a smoker box on top, in the side of my offset charbroil. 225 was pretty easy since I set the throttle to high, and that's all the hot plate had. Well 16 hours later, with a cold beer, a full stomach, and a favorite cigar in my mouth, I was wondering if it does get any better than this. Thanks Guys.

were you out of charcoal?

i didnt think a hotplate would heat up that much, great info

i have been wanting to use one in my chargriller for cold smoking

In my big fridge smoker I used a 1500 watt oven element with the oven control out of the old oven.I can run it up to 300 degrees even on a cool day.Id think you could get a hot plate with that much wattage.If you look at most commercial chest type smokers they use a hot plate.

Actually, I had charcol, but during the rain and wind storm, the top blew off of the garbage pail I use and soaked enough of it that I didn't think I could make it last for 12 hours.

I can get 225 if I put the hot plate in the side box, and pick up another 25 at least if I put it to the side of the cooking chamber oposite the meat.

I was one of those that always figured smoke needed wood/charcol to be good. Since I've been here on the forum my mind has changed completely.

Now I don't know which way to go this summer for my next smoker, gas or electric.

i have 5 8)

GOSM 36"
charbroil electric smoker
weber kettle
weber gasser
and a what i like to call a "junkyard" grill
(old old barrel type grill)

I currently have 3, Weber Performer, Charbroil gasser, Charbroil charcol smoke and grill.

I just saw the price on the wide body GOSM gasser this morning, when I showed the GF, she replied "that's all ? " I like those responses

I'm a little late to this thread but wanted to add a neat little tid-bit. I saw a show on the Foodnetwork not too long ago, (I'm a FN junkie) called Good Eats with Alton Brown. He cold smoked a salmon using an electric hot plate, a cardboard box, and sawdust. It was very entertaining to watch and just goes to show that there are very few limitations to this hobby. With a little intuition and the right know-how anything is possible.

thats the show that got me thinking adout smoking meats.

i had already been bitten by the grind and make your own
sausage buga few weeks earlier.

this just got me to loosen my wallet a little.

i enjoy the alton brown show.
in my opion, his show fills the void left by justin wilson's demise

[quote="larry maddock";p="4747"

i enjoy the alton brown show.
in my opion, his show fills the void left by justin wilson's demise[/quote]

Amen to that Larry Joe! the Food Shows on PBS have not been the same since! I gar-on-tee!!

I agree about Mr Wilson, I he was a big inspiration for me also. Probably the biggest one now that I think about it.

Alton is good for food tv, has a way of making the food network shows a little less stuffy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky