KJ Classic or PBK22

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deanokhan

Original poster
Jun 4, 2020
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to take the plunge and get a Kamado style grill, moving on from a cheap offset smoker.
My options are a 22 inch PB or a KJ classic series 1 with the divide and conquer.
There is a significant price difference between the 2 about $515 (I'm in Australia, everything costs more here)
I can get either of the 2 but cant make up my mind.

I would appreciate a little guidance to help make up my mind.

Not sure what PBK stands for but you can't go wrong with the Kamado Joe. How many people do you usually cook for, do you need the larger grill? Kamado grills will cook mostly the same, the big difference are in the convivence of the design, ease of use, accessories and the warranty. If you don't need the extra space then I would go with the KJ, due to their quality of build, accessories included and their lifetime warranty on the ceramics. I have had their Big Joe for many years now and have had the firebox replaced a couple times, without charge, the new segmented design fixed the problems and haven't had any trouble with the newest one.

Reactions: deanokhan
Not sure what PBK stands for but you can't go wrong with the Kamado Joe. How many people do you usually cook for, do you need the larger grill? Kamado grills will cook mostly the same, the big difference are in the convivence of the design, ease of use, accessories and the warranty. If you don't need the extra space then I would go with the KJ, due to their quality of build, accessories included and their lifetime warranty on the ceramics. I have had their Big Joe for many years now and have had the firebox replaced a couple times, without charge, the new segmented design fixed the problems and haven't had any trouble with the newest one.

Thanks, for the reply. PB is the Pit Boss. I like the limited lifetime warranty for the ceramics on the KJ which gives peace of mind. And I don't cook for a lots of people usually just 5-7 tops.

Howdy - let us know what you decide on but I'm a Kamado Joe guy. I've had good luck with a couple of customer service issues and their build quality seems to compare very favorably.

I've come to the conclusion that a good example from any brand will do you well. I also believe two more things: Buy the 'best' - because that can be debated - you can afford and buy what you want. If you make a logical decision it's pretty easy for the emotion to say..."I shoulda bought the red one ( or green one or black one or...)

Now admittedly I don't know the PB brand that well but what I like about the KJ includes a very wide range of accessories. Access to those accessories is also very good. There are quite a few secondary manufacturers of items for the KJ.

Good luck with your decision, let us know how it turns out!

Hi everyone, thanks for the input and suggestions. I decided to go with the KJ Classic series 1. the newer series are way out of my price range.

Any beginner tips?

Reactions: retfr8flyr
Hi everyone, thanks for the input and suggestions. I decided to go with the KJ Classic series 1. the newer series are way out of my price range.

Any beginner tips?
Congrats Dean!! You'll love it and you've picked a great one!

Yes - here are some tips:
- read John's book!
- have fun with it - this is a fun activity as well as a way to cook.
- don't fuss temps too much. 5 or even 10 degrees one way or the other won't matter. Pay attention but don't be obsessive.
- don't get sucked too far into 'the best lump' argument. Try a few, find what works for you and go with that. The "best" lump is a tar baby!
- let your lump burn in well. If you put your food on too quickly while the lump isn't fully started will lend charcoal flavors to your food. My wife isn't a fan of charcoal so I have to be very careful with it.
- Do ribs. They're an easy win. Read up on the 3-2-1 method and then bend accordingly to your needs.

Have fun!

• Love
The biggest thing to learn is temp control. For low and slow you need to start with a very small fire and then start shutting the vents down when it gets about 50° from your target. It's very easy to increase the temps but hard to lower them. Always wait for about 10 minutes, after a vent change, to see the results. If you don't wait you will start chasing the temps. I would recommend pork butts for your first cook, as they are very forgiving on temp control. It won't take you long and you will have it down pat. Kamado cooking is at another level from most grills and I think you will be very happy with the new KJ.

Reactions: deanokhan and dr k
Congrats Dean!! You'll love it and you've picked a great one!

Yes - here are some tips:
- read John's book!
- have fun with it - this is a fun activity as well as a way to cook.
- don't fuss temps too much. 5 or even 10 degrees one way or the other won't matter. Pay attention but don't be obsessive.
- don't get sucked too far into 'the best lump' argument. Try a few, find what works for you and go with that. The "best" lump is a tar baby!
- let your lump burn in well. If you put your food on too quickly while the lump isn't fully started will lend charcoal flavors to your food. My wife isn't a fan of charcoal so I have to be very careful with it.
- Do ribs. They're an easy win. Read up on the 3-2-1 method and then bend accordingly to your needs.

Have fun!

Thanks, forgive my ignorance but can you give me the title of johns book so i can look it up. I dont know his last name.

The biggest thing to learn is temp control. For low and slow you need to start with a very small fire and then start shutting the vents down when it gets about 50° from your target. It's very easy to increase the temps but hard to lower them. Always wait for about 10 minutes, after a vent change, to see the results. If you don't wait you will start chasing the temps. I would recommend pork butts for your first cook, as they are very forgiving on temp control. It won't take you long and you will have it down pat. Kamado cooking is at another level from most grills and I think you will be very happy with the new KJ.
Thanks, a whole different beast. Has to be easier than my cheap offset cooker which has made me some great bbq but is so temperamental. I believe the KJ has more utility and an offset cooker.

Another question, any recommended accessories for later down the track? I think the charcoal basket is a must.

Get a good (thermoworks is my favorite) digital thermometer. I find I use it more and more.
I have a charcoal basket and yes I love it too but it's not a must. I'd go thermometer first
We like to do pizza on ours so a good pizza stone - 5/8" thick corderite is my choice
The high cost, nerdy fun but very useful accessory is a temperature controller and fan. It simplifies things a lot and gives you a lot of fun and good information. You can sure do without one but they are also nice to have.
Get a good pair of gloves, you'll use them.
Lighting - A consistent issue for me is having enough light since some of my cooks go into darker hours. Canada in winter doesn't give us much sunshine!
I bought a 12" dual handle cast iron pan - I may still get the griddle or soapstone down the road but the cast iron is cheaper and maybe a bit more versatile. I do smash burgers in mine (if you haven't done this yet you HAVE to. A fantastic burger option....mmmmm)
61LVMuWWGKL._AC_SL1453_.jpg
Others will add I'm sure.

Reactions: deanokhan and Fubar
Another question, any recommended accessories for later down the track? I think the charcoal basket is a must.
One accessory that I really use a lot is the Joetisserie. It is a game changer for lots of different cooks. Add a basket for it and you will never again do chicken wings any other way. Yes the charcoal basket it a must, also get a good remote temp monitor, it makes things much easier. I don't know if you got a cover with your KJ but I also think that is a good thing to have.

Awesome. Another friend also recommended a the jotesserie, the cast iron grill and the cast iron flat plate. said the charcoal isnt vital. I have an inkbird 4 probe wireless thermometer that a friend that owns a low n slow food truck recommended which works well for me. Definitely gonna get a PID for it down the line. I didnt get a cover so that might be the first thing i get. Thanks again guys really appreciate it

I aint go anywhere. it go delivered yesterday so. the delivery guy couldnt take it off the truck. Luckily i watched an unboxing and assembly video on youtube. so we unpacked the thing on the truck pulled out the stuff from inside and carried it off. he would not help me assemble it (put it on the cart). so I need to get someone to help me put it on the cart in the next day or so.
My wife was asking me WTH are we gonna do with such a big bbq, i told her this is the small one.

Its sitting on a couple of mats outside on my back porch.

Last edited:
Hahaha yeah man! Good stuff. I think you're going to have a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to being entertained and getting some ideas.

Going to do some beef cheeks this weekend, if i can get someone to help me lift this thing

all set up, I'll do the burn in tomorrow while i'm working from home and awake. the deflector plates are probably not in the right spot but just for the burn in it should be ok.

Attachments

• IMG-20210202-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20210202-WA0001.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20210202_102129409.jpg
    PXL_20210202_102129409.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20210202_102133021.jpg
    PXL_20210202_102133021.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky