Kingsford Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Lots of famous folks involved in making them what they are today. Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Edward G. Kingsford, George Stephen Sr., and the Clorox company all had a major role in making Kingsford Charcoal the leading manufacturer of charcoal in America. Stuff that I never knew....

1620760877834.png

I knew it started as Ford, but not the whole history.

And the reason I don't use Kingsford
"Kingsford Charcoal is made from charred soft and hardwoods such as pine, spruce, hickory, oak and others depending on which regional manufacturing plant it comes from. "

About the only stuff I've used for 50 years now, can get it everywhere. RAY
[/QUOTE]
What about Royal Oak ? I have been reading that Kingsford started making their charcoal smaller so you would have to buy more and that Royal Oak was way better???

Reactions: sawhorseray
[/QUOTE] What about Royal Oak ? I have been reading that Kingsford started making their charcoal smaller so you would have to buy more and that Royal Oak was way better??? [/QUOTE]

I bought a bag of RO lump a couple years back Joe, it was more slivers than lump. I don't use charcoal in my offset SQ36, just start hickory or oak splits with a weed torch. Been using Kingsford in my kettles for a long time without any problems, too old to change now. RAY

What about Royal Oak ? I have been reading that Kingsford started making their charcoal smaller so you would have to buy more and that Royal Oak was way better??? [/QUOTE]

I bought a bag of RO lump a couple years back Joe, it was more slivers than lump. I don't use charcoal in my offset SQ36, just start hickory or oak splits with a weed torch. Been using Kingsford in my kettles for a long time without any problems, too old to change now. RAY
[/QUOTE]
Me too !! Kingsford has been my go to for years and from what I have researched" RO" costs way more so I guess I will continue to use Kingsford unless I can find a sweet deal on RO and then I can give it my own review. I have tried others but like you said they were junk..PJ

You can't compare lump to briquettes. Briquette to briquette is the proper comparison. Starter for an offset? Anything that burns hot.

Charcoal fuel for a grill or smoker? I'll stick to RO briquettes. Kingsford keeps changing their formula and I've not seen a change on RO briqs. They'll go bye-bye if they do.

I use both but, Royal Oak lump is not lump anymore it's more of parts and piece's that are small and fall thru the grate. My last five bags have left me with less to cook with and a bunch of very small piece's to small to cook with.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I use Kingsword for an overnight cook, cause it burns longer, I use RO on a shorter cook. And i use RO lump for a hot fire, like cooking a steak. I guess we all have our favorites. I use mesquite & hickory splits in my Lang.
Al

For me, anyone's lump beats out any briquettes....just too much ash from Kingsford briquettes to suit me.

Ford or Chevy?

Speaking strictly for briquettes... For me the biggest tell of a BAD briquette is how much SAND is left behind in the ash! Check for yourself next time by running your fingers through and feeling what is left of your "ash" after it is cold. Wood ash is light and airy... Sand is dense and clumpy. Understand SAND is used as a heat stabilizer, and regulate the burn rate. noboundaries noboundaries extensive research in his post link above collaborates exactly what I mean. Me personally I know I want to buy charcoal by the pound without any fillers. Kingsford is definitely not what they used to be.

With that said... I'm surprised more folks aren't cooking more over real wood fires in their charcoal grills. Other than the "stick burners" I rarely see that on here. I've been doing this a whole lot recently with my Webers for grilling and high temp smoking. Not only is this saving me money, but the increase in flavor is phenomenal!

Interesting history. Since this thread has migrated towards briquettes vs lump and Kingsford vs other brands, I'll join in the migration. I also do not use briquettes anymore, but when I did, it was Royal Oak. I still have 40 lbs. in my garage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky