Kielbasa, Kabonosy, Vension Snack Sticks and Fresh Sausage (long post with recipes and pictures)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nicely done.. Great color and great bind! It gets easy once you have a system down. How do you like that mixer?
thank you! and I like it its really like easy to clean and set up just 10lb of mix seems to be the minimum that it will mix well and after freezing my fingers off mixing the fresh sausage by hand i was glad to be able to use it.

Tip: if you put on a cheap pair of polypropylene liner gloves, then put on latex gloves, your hands won't freeze and the meat will stay colder. You can find those liner gloves @ wally world and love's truck stops...less than $2/pair.

Reactions: slavikborisov
Congrats on the ride, everything looks great. We use to do many different varieties all at once, but have cut it down to one or two at a time now. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: slavikborisov
Tip: if you put on a cheap pair of polypropylene liner gloves, then put on latex gloves, your hands won't freeze and the meat will stay colder. You can find those liner gloves @ wally world and love's truck stops...less than $2/pair.
Appreciate the tip only thing I had was the latex ones and it was rough lol

The fun part

A710D13C-AC8F-47D7-8A23-22AFB3E796C3.jpeg
E08EA7EB-462F-4710-9280-A89E09D47853.jpeg
DCB96A2E-EBD4-47AE-8ADE-7052FB9F4FF6.jpeg
B81B80A1-618C-447F-820F-29647DCEBAA3.jpeg
A9B3E906-55C5-4EB9-87CA-19BC06B31F8B.jpeg

Wow! What an outstanding weekend.
Well deserved feature on the carousel.
Thank you for posting recipes.

Uh, You probably won't be posting in a few months after that run?
Thank you and yes only thing left on my list is some emulsified sausages.

Had a long weekend of making some different product for the first time.
I tried Duncan Henry fresh sausage recipe and Len Poli "Jimmy Dean" sausage with modifications.
The kielbasa recipe was also from Duncan henry with some additions. Kabonosy recipe was a combination from Marianski with a few additions after reading a few posts on here.
Vension snack stick were 10lb a version of Nepa from this forum and 10lb was my recipe.
Fine grind plate- 3/16" Course plate - 3/8"

My takeaways all the sausages were really good I wasn't disappointed at all. MSG is an amazing addition to all recipes I recommend everyone try it. Natural casings are really something first time using them had a few blow outs to be expected. The kielbasa textures and flavor really complimented each other very well I will definitely make it again. The kabonosy has always been favorite of mine since I was a kid and Its really satisfying knowing that I can make it myself now. The pork back fat in the venison tastes better in my opinion then just adding pork butt it like almost a more rich flavor from the pure fat. The sheep casing are my favorite as far as eating but they are definitely tricky to work with. I bought pretubed casings from Syracuse casing and the collagen ones from waltons inc. Thanks for looking hope these recipes help someone or at least point them in the right direction.

Fresh sausage
"Country style" Fine grind 7lb
Salt 17g/kg
Black pepper 1g/kg
White Pepper 1.5g/kg
MSG 2.5g/kg
Sage 2g/kg
Cayene 1g/kg
Sugar 3g/kg
Thyme 1g/kg
Binder (NFDM) 10g/kg
Water 100g/kg
Stuffed into 22/24mm sheep casing

Fresh sausage
"Mild" Fine grind 7lb
Salt 16g/kg
White Pepper 1.5 g/kg
Sugar 2g/kg
MSG 2.5g/kg
Nutmeg .5g/kg
Coriander .5g/kg
Onion powder 3g/kg
Celery powder (which didn't have so i used celery seed) .5g/kg
Binder (NFDM) 10g/kg
Water 100g/kg

Fresh sausage
"Jimmy dean" Fine grind 10lb
Salt 15g/kg
MSG 2.5g/kg
Coriander 1g/kg
Black Pepper 1g/kg
Parsley 1g/kg
Thyme 1g/kg
Red Pepper Flakes 1g/kg
Sage .5g/kg
Binder (NFDM) 10g/kg
Water 100g/kg
I didn't get many pictures of the fresh sausage but I will post them this week

Kabonosy (Two textured grind 5lb course 15lb fine pork)
Salt 17g/kg
MSG 2g/kg
Black Pepper 2g/kg
Garlic(I used powder instead of cloves)2g/kg
Nutmeg 1g/kg
Caraway Seed 1g/kg
Sugar 1g/kg
Celery Seed .5g/kg
Cure #1 2.5g/kg
Sodium erythorbate .5g/kg
Water 100g/kg
Stuffed into 22/24mm sheep casing. Cooked to an IT of 153F using competition blend pellet from Oklahoma joes

Kelbasi was a combo of two recipes mixed separately sat for a few hours then mixed together and stuffed

"Polish Garlic" at 30% of the total weight of sausage at 7.5lb fine grind
Salt 14g/kg
MSG 2.5g/kg
Black Pepper 2.5g/kg
Garlic 5.5g/kg
Marjoram 1g/kg
Sugar 2.5g/kg
Mustard Seed 4g/kg
Binder (NFDM) 10g/kg
Cure #1 2.5g/kg
Sodium Erythorbate .5g/kg
Water 100g/kg

"Ham" at 70% of the total weight of sausage at 17.5lb fine grind
Salt 14g/kg
MSG 2.5g/kg
Brown Sugar 4g/kg
California Ham Spice 1g/kg
Mustard Seed 3g/kg
Liquid smoke .5g/kg
Binder (NFDM) 10g/kg
Cure #1 2.5g/kg
Water 100g/kg
Stuffed into 35/38mm hog casings. Cooked to an IT of 153F using competition blend pellet from Oklahoma joes

Venison Snack Sticks
80% venison 20% pork back fat I did two 10lb batches from a 16lb vension and 4lb pork back fat fine grind mix

"NEPA"
Salt 15g/kg
MSG 2g/kg
Dextrose 6g/kg (different from recipe)
Liquid smoke .5g/kg
Nutmeg 1.5g/kg
Celery seed 1.5g/kg
White pepper 1.5g/kg
Curry powder 1.5g/kg
Binder (NFDM) 10g/kg
Cure #1 2.5g/kg
Water 100g/kg

My mix used the same as I did on my bologna
Salt 15g/kg
MSG 2.5g/kg
Black Pepper 4g/kg
Mustard Seed 4g/kg
Coriander 1g/kg
Onion Powder 2g/kg
Garlic Powder 4g/kg
Smoked Paprika 2g/kg
Liquid smoke .5g/kg
Binder (NFDM) 10g/kg
Cure #1 2.5g/kg
Water 100g/kg
Stuffed into 21mm Edible collagen casings
View attachment 628119View attachment 628120View attachment 628121View attachment 628122View attachment 628123View attachment 628124View attachment 628125View attachment 628126View attachment 628127View attachment 628128View attachment 628129View attachment 628130View attachment 628131View attachment 628132View attachment 628133View attachment 628134View attachment 628135View attachment 628136View attachment 628137
You nailed the Kabanosy ! The red color is outstanding. Kabanosy is my favorite to make as I have made it for 30 years and I can spot a good one and yours have that look. The recipe you used is pretty identical to the one I use from Mariansky's book. Congratualtions, well done !

HT

You nailed the Kabanosy ! The red color is outstanding. Kabanosy is my favorite to make as I have made it for 30 years and I can spot a good one and yours have that look. The recipe you used is pretty identical to the one I use from Mariansky's book. Congratualtions, well done !

HT
Thank you i appreciate it they turned out great !!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky