Kettle Prime Time + Temp Spike Use

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigW.

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2019
Nebraska
I had a slightly less than 6lb Ribeye Roast that I wanted to take for a spin. Added some worchestershire to the outside then a healthy amount of SPOG rub.
Raw Prime.jpg

I was originally was shooting for a grill temp of around 250 or so. I used a full chimney so I was over 300 for all of the cook. There was no way to dial it back with that much charcoal. Used the Weber baskets to keep heat to the outside and prime rib in the middle. I would say I was closer to 350 and was at 122 when I pulled it 1.5 hrs later.
Smoking.jpg

Now to the fun new toy. I wanted a wireless temp probe to use on the rotisserie. There are mixed reviews on current available options. I have always loved ThermoPro products and I saw they were making the Temp Spike and was happy to give it a shot. Purchased thru a large website that I'm not a huge fan of, but they had a "Day" and ThermoPro had a special since it was new and I could not say no.
Temp Spike.jpg

I'm not a tech type of person but I think I'm really going to like this. The graphing function was accurate as far as when Prime would be done. I had some user error when closing app, that ended the cook. So when I opened it back up to check temp, graph started over. I did not spend much time reading thru directions other that for set up. One thing that bugs me is Apps that want to know your location. I maybe get it from a marketing side, but it is extremely intrusive. Other than that, I think I'm really going to enjoy this. One of the advantages to this is the extra range it supposedly has over others on the market.

Somebody a while back made a genius mod to their rotisserie that allowed a wired therm to work. I never found that thread again, so I went this route.

Attachments

• Raw Prime.jpg
    Raw Prime.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 10
The Temp Spike worked great. I think it will come in handy on many cooks. I've heard that the ambient temp Meater is not very accurate. I did not verify with another therm but the ambient looked right on with Temp Spike.
What did you pay for this on "the Day" now it is $89.99 - $30 off coupon so $59.99 I like that it can do both meat temp and ambient temp. The ambient temp is at food level so much better than adding another probe at grill level.

What did you pay for this on "the Day" now it is $89.99 - $30 off coupon so $59.99 I like that it can do both meat temp and ambient temp. The ambient temp is at food level so much better than adding another probe at grill level.
I only had a $20 off coupon, so I was at $69. I do know afterwards the coupon went away for a while. For $60, I think that is a steal.

I see it at $99 with the $30 available. Maybe that website knows I like it and wants to charge me an extra $10.

Last edited:
I only had a $20 off coupon, so I was at $69. I do know afterwards the coupon went away for a while. For $60, I think that is a steal.

I see it at $99 with the $30 available. Maybe that website knows I like it and wants to charge me an extra $10. %^$# Bezos
I am a business prime account, maybe that has something to do with it?

Didn't think anyone remembered that.
Richie

Good looking roast.
It appears that ThermoPro designed it so that the ambient sensor is further away from the cold air bubble.
Thank you for posting your initial thoughts on it.

Thanks for the info on the spike and the roast looks good. How did it end up with your temps higher than you were aiming for

David
It got done a little quicker (30 min or so) that I planned. But it was still pink all the way thru and I did not have to sear the outside because it cooked so hot. Probably the best prime I've had. Looking forward to French Dips this evening.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky