Kettle Jerk chicken, coconut cauliflower rice and Jamaican cucumber salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Wanted to do something different, got me some boneless, skinless, chicken thighs seasoned up with Oakridge BBQ's new jerk rub for 24 hours.
chix1.jpg

They go on the kettle with a vortex filled mostly with lump and a hickory chunk on top. I knew it was going to be a faster cook so I did not bother with external grill probe for temp.
chix2.jpg

Banana trees starting to come in nicely by the pond and the backyard is looking nice this year especially with the kettle smoking away.
pond1.jpg

pond2.jpg

Made a Jamaican cucumber salad, pickled red onion, rice wine vinegar, a little toasted sesame oil, lime juice, ginger, salt, pepper, garlic also used fresh cilantro, dill and parsley from the garden. Did this yesterday so the flavors would really meld together in the fridge.
cuc salad.jpg

Then another side, coconut cauliflower rice and peas (what the Jamaicans call it from what I read), but it is actually beans. Started with slicing scallions, serrano pepper (could not find Scotch Bonnets) into the pan with a bit of oil and a can of coconut milk.
rice1.jpg

rice2.jpg

I had a leftover corn on the cob so I sliced the corn off into the pan.
rice3.jpg

Added the "peas" OK actually added black soy beans. Spices added were allspice, ginger, salt, pepper, thyme, a little of the rub, shredded coconut and a little of G hughes sugar free jerk wing sauce. I also added a little turmeric for some color.
rice4.jpg

Thighs coming along nicely
chix3.jpg

quick char over the vortex and they are done
chix4.jpg

Charred a couple of the serrano's for me.
serano.jpg

Final plate, the chicken was the juiciest, best I have ever done in any way, I am sorry I did not get a 26" kettle for the room. Now the peppers were hotter than I thought they would be in the rice, I only used 1 and the wife could not handle it. I loved it and the cucumber salad was very refreshing. So any left overs will be for me and I am OK with that! Next time I will back away on the hot peppers in the rice but I absolutely loved it.
plate.jpg

Very very good.
I love Jamaican style food.
If Serrano was too hot for the wife, a Scotch Bonnet if not used sparingly will put you in the dog house. Scotch Bonnet is comparable in heat to Habanero, but has a much better subtle fruity back flavor.
Very out of the box using cauliflower to replace rice and adding the corn up the texture.

Reactions: clifish
That looks awesome Cliff!
We love spicy & those thighs would sure hit the spot!
Nice backyard you have too!!!
Al

Wheres the line form? That is a great looking plate. And a icy cold Red Stripe would help tone down them peppers. Staying with the Jamaican theme there.
Jim

Reactions: TH-n-PA and clifish
Great meal man and right up my alley. Love the sub on the peas. I’ll steal that one for sure. I’m a Jamaican food fanatic. Have 8 lbs more jerk jerky going right now

Great meal and bookmarked Cliff !
Gotta try some jerk flavors and spice for a change. Also a great view makes the meal a little better!
And congrats on the ride!!

Keith

Very very good.
I love Jamaican style food.
If Serrano was too hot for the wife, a Scotch Bonnet if not used sparingly will put you in the dog house. Scotch Bonnet is comparable in heat to Habanero, but has a much better subtle fruity back flavor.
Very out of the box using cauliflower to replace rice and adding the corn up the texture.
Yeah took a shot on those as I knew habs would be out of the question. Still shocked only pepper added hat much spice.
That looks fantastic. I love anything with coconut in it so I’m very interested in that cauliflower recipe.
Thanks Sven, I loosely followed the below link but subbed in riced cauliflower I get at Costco. On the fly additions were the rice wine vinegar, turmeric, shredded coconut, corn and the SF sauce. Pretty much did it to taste at the end.

Sign me up for a big plate of that. Love anything in the Jerk flavor house.
Whole plate looks great and the rice and peas (beans ) perfect

David
Thanks David will be doing this again..sans hot pepper
That looks awesome Cliff!
We love spicy & those thighs would sure hit the spot!
Nice backyard you have too!!!
Al
Thanks Al, I think it actually wiped the pot out for my wife...lol Backyard is nice but would love to drop a line in the pond/canal I see in the background of your.
Wheres the line form? That is a great looking plate. And a icy cold Red Stripe would help tone down them peppers. Staying with the Jamaican theme there.
Jim
Thanks Jim, Re stripe would have been a good call, may have to make up for that today.
Cliff , that's a fantastic looking plate bud . Nice work .
Thanks Rich, I think I have the vortex figured out on the kettle. Today I am going to try and do 4-6 hours with a rack of ribs. That is why I am keeping my out for a deal on a smokefire so I can set and forget. I figure in a few weeks some fathers day gifts of smokers might be on the market. Sounds great at first but if you think it is a grill they are not going to like it.
Great meal man and right up my alley. Love the sub on the peas. I’ll steal that one for sure. I’m a Jamaican food fanatic. Have 8 lbs more jerk jerky going right now
Yeah I figured you would like the rice dish, going to do your charro beans today with the ribs. I need to start and do jerky I love it but hate the cost.

Great meal and bookmarked Cliff !
Gotta try some jerk flavors and spice for a change. Also a great view makes the meal a little better!
And congrats on the ride!!

Keith
Thanks Keith, It really is too bad I don't use the backyard a ton, I do hit the pool or hot tub almost everyday but we seem to do very little entertaining when in NY, do it more when we are in PA.

I did not see I got a ride until you pointed it out..cool

Reactions: 912smoker
5 star all the way! what an incredible summer meal. Your backyard looks amazing too, perfect backdrop for the Webber!

Oh my.

That looks wonderful and the flavors…..they sound amazing!

I will definitely be doing some Jamaican dish in the future!

Thank you for the inspiration!

Tasty looking plate man! Been a while since I've done jerk/Jamaican.

The kettle is the adjustable wrench of cookers, but sometimes you need a couple sizes to span the needs at hand... :emoji_wink:
Thanks moto. I will probably pull the trigger on a larger pellet rather than a 26 as I would love to have everything "under one roof".
You nailed that meal for sure. That all looks so good!
Thanks Dave for the kind words, I hope you a fully or mostly recovered from your recent medical issues?
5 star all the way! what an incredible summer meal. Your backyard looks amazing too, perfect backdrop for the Webber!
Thanks Jed, yeah the yard looks nice now but the rest of the 9 months it is typical brown North East.
I am absolutely blown way Cliff!! That meal looks superb sir. Sorry your wife couldn't handle the pepper. Being the good Samaritan I am, I'll make the sacrifice and eat her share of the rice :emoji_laughing:

Robert
HaHa Robert, yeah she is not much on spice...meanwhile I have habs, ghost and death spiral peppers growing in the garden...lol Just wait till the fall and I will kick that rice up even more!
Oh my.

That looks wonderful and the flavors…..they sound amazing!

I will definitely be doing some Jamaican dish in the future!

Thank you for the inspiration!
You need too, it is a different and flavorful flavor profile.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky