Keto or low carb ham glaze ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
Wife and I are back on Keto. We've been enjoying ourselves too much, eating , drinking , and being merry. And now we gotta pay the piper.

I've got a spiral cut ham in the freezer that I really need to cook. Its been there too long. I'm gonna double smoke it but I need a low carb glaze, if there is such a thing.

I've been eyeing a Malcolm Reed glaze, has brown sugar and honey in his vinegar rub. I've got plenty of his vinegar rub, which is not that high in carbs. Wife says we can replace the brown sugar with Swerve. But the honey is a real problem, very high carb.

I suspect the reason for the honey is to make the glaze thick and sticky. It would give some body to Malcolm's vinegar sauce.

Any suggestions ?

Wife and I are back on Keto. We've been enjoying ourselves too much, eating , drinking , and being merry. And now we gotta pay the piper.

I've got a spiral cut ham in the freezer that I really need to cook. Its been there too long. I'm gonna double smoke it but I need a low carb glaze, if there is such a thing.

I've been eyeing a Malcolm Reed glaze, has brown sugar and honey in his vinegar rub. I've got plenty of his vinegar rub, which is not that high in carbs. Wife says we can replace the brown sugar with Swerve. But the honey is a real problem, very high carb.

I suspect the reason for the honey is to make the glaze thick and sticky. It would give some body to Malcolm's vinegar sauce.

Any suggestions ?
I have no clue buddy.

I don't care for sweet glaze on my ham but I guess you could always dissolve Allulose in water (erythritol will recrystalize bleh) and brush it on. Won't be thick at all.

Would a sweet mustard concoction work? Sounds odd but again I don't do sweet glazes but maybe a homemade sweet mustard glaze may be the ticket where mustard is the thickening agent and your swerve is the sweatener :)

I'm probably best off , just to forget the glaze. Sometimes I wonder how much flavor it adds, anyway.

But then, just how many carbs would the glaze add to a couple of slices of ham ? There's 17g of carbs in a tablespoon of honey. But I won't be eating an entire tablespoon, Malcolm's recipe calls for 1/4 cup.

Using Bear's method of pan on top that had holes in it with bacon I did one but can't remember all that I used. I remember it was quite good though. I know it had sugar free apricot jelly and I think Jack Daniels but not sure what else?

I'm probably best off , just to forget the glaze. Sometimes I wonder how much flavor it adds, anyway.

But then, just how many carbs would the glaze add to a couple of slices of ham ? There's 17g of carbs in a tablespoon of honey. But I won't be eating an entire tablespoon, Malcolm's recipe calls for 1/4 cup.
When I do my ham cure I use Sucralose (still sugar but quite a bit less) or erythritol in the cure solution.

My ham isn't sweet but that is part of the flavor profile.

I honestly think that if you boiled down some brown sugar swerve you could just take a brush and brush on a little to the outside of the ham and satisfy the tongue for that twinge of sweet you may be looking for.

Again, I go no sweetness on my ham and the flavor is outstanding! No one ever says anything about having something sweet on it at all. The flavor they taste blows them away so they never think about sweet :D

Honey is a no no for sure. I’d think you should be able to work with Brown Swerve to come up with something that works. You could always use some xanthan or Glucomannon sparingly as thicker as well. I likely have posted ham glaze at some point. I’ll dig around later. I’ve also posted a way to make keto honey with dandelions and swerve that blows peoples minds. I’ll link that as well.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky