Keto Hamburger gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Nothing fancy tonight just some good old comfort food that reminds me of my childhood. My keto spin on hamburger gravy and mashed potatoes. The gravy is thickened with an almond flour roux and cream cheese and the mash is a celery root and orange cauliflower mash. A little cream , cream cheese and butter to make a nice thick mash texture. Salt pepper and garlic for flavor. Keto comfort food for a cold Ohio night. General recipes / general cooking guide for the keto hamburger gravy. Ok here is the recipe paragraph style 🙂 I never cook small quantities as I have friends and family to share with always haha. You can scale back as needed. First brown 5 lbs of 80 / 20 ground beef with two medium diced onions and salt , pepper and garlic to taste, drain and save roughly 1 1/4 cups of the drippings. With the drippings in the pan add 3/4 to 1 cup of almond flour to form a roux. Once it thickens and browns add 2 1/2 cups each of HWC and beef broth. Bring to a simmer. Add 20 oz. cream cheese to a microwave safe bowl and heat to soften. Once softened ladle some of the liquid in with the cream cheese. Optionally in this step you can add 2 tsp of Minors beef broth concentrate. It is not necessary but does riches up the beefiness that’s is cut some by the cream and cream cheese. Microwave again to melt further then hit the mixture with an immersion blender. This helps to really emulsify the cheese so it’s not just tiny cheese dots in the gravy. Pour this back in the main batch and hit it all with the immersion blender. Now add the ground beef and onions in. Simmer for 15 minutes or so to reduce some to a nice thickness. Note it will thicken a bit as it cools. It’s a little bit of a process but turns out a gravy that rivals non keto. It’s friends and family approved. That’s it , try it and let me know what you think. Sub sausage and you will have some fine sausage gravy for some keto biscuits.
5FCD83F3-DA6E-49BB-8088-87A90170BB31.jpeg
F771034A-5DFB-41C0-AB79-4A18C745F8B0.jpeg
EC75EB1A-7995-4250-9AF0-D719C309A8AE.jpeg
E3E933E6-1334-45DB-8595-4444B53C29B5.jpeg

Heck Yea man! I'll take a big ol plate of that! Nice and comforting right there Jeff ! Love it!

Reactions: jcam222
Almond flour roux....now that sounds interesting. My cousin has a friend that is on a gluten free diet... wonder if that would work for that?
I believe this recipe would be gluten free. Almond flour definitely is. I’ve yet to figure out if the almond flour roux actually tightens things up or now. I am going to try the next batch without to see. I think the primary thickener in this is the cream cheese.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Have you ever used clear jello gelatin? It's pure collagen...
I use xanthan gum at times but it can tend to get slimy. I am going to try whey protein isolate for roux next time. I used clear gelatin to make panacotta that was amazing.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Jeff
You kick it up with all of your cooking.
Then your food stylist photos take it over the top.
Almond flour roux....now that sounds interesting. My cousin has a friend that is on a gluten free diet... wonder if that would work for that?
Anything without wheat, barley, triticale (wheat-barley hybrid), or rye is gluten free.
I use potato starch as my wife is sensitive to corn starch (also gluten free) to make a flour free roux. Wife has a sensitivity to wheat that is not a gluten allergy.

Nothing wrong with that. The pics are appetizing...JJ

Well Jeff, once again your meal looks astonishing!! That warms me up just looking at it. I can only imagine what it must have been like to actually eat some. I continue to e amazed at how incredibly good everything you post looks. I can only aspire to create food in your image sir.

Robert

Looks wonderful! Copied the recipe and added it to my book. Have you tried adding a little smoke to the cauliflower/celery root mash or the hamburger? If not live smoke, maybe a 1/8 tsp of liquid smoke? 🍻
I have not but will! I do often add cheeses and oils like truffle oil to my purées and mashed. This is the first time I mixed celery root into the mash.

i dont do keto straight up (my body runs off fat naturally.. IBD)

...that said, i have almond flour, lots of corn starch/flour, potato flour, rice flour. sometimes gluten just isnt working for me and i adjust.

(Good for some GREAT crunch on fried stuff, too!)

I have not but will! I do often add cheeses and oils like truffle oil to my purées and mashed. This is the first time I mixed celery root into the mash.
First and foremost - Thank you for the Like. I really appreciate it. If you get the opportunity, try Hemgstemberg Celery Salad with Apple (12.5 fl oz) as a side or mixture like you did. It has a couple layers of flavor that you find useful. Should be available at Kroger or Giant. If not, go on line to Yummy Bazaar: Awesome Food, Great Value, Free Shipping over $59 . They have a lot of imported foods that are a lot of fun to play with. 🍻

1613148349657.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky