Keeping pork moist after the cook?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Muzzy17is

Original poster
Jun 11, 2019
Newbie question here but when I cook a large amount of pulled pork what’s the best way to keep it moist once it’s done and ready to go? Do I pull the butts apart as needed or ?

You might want to define a large amount, a cooler with them wrapped in something that wont steam/moisture out and towels surrounding them to help hold the heat in.

When you say as needed do you mean that day or for future warm ups?

Pull the whole butt at once after it is done and rested. I usually wrap mine so I add the juice from the foil into the meat and serve. If its for near future uses put it in a big zip lock bag in the fridge or a foil pan. If its for way in the future uses vac seal it and toss it in the freezer. It reheats well. Can always use a finishing sauce as well when re-heating

I'm referring to setting up my cooker on the roadside and selling sandwiches. To keep the pork moist for the day while waiting on customers, I figure putting the pork in Ziploc bags and in a foil pan and open as needed would probably be my best bet???

That's a tough one maybe someone with more catering experience could chime in as far as food safety and all that. If you had any access to power I would say toss it in a crock pot to keep it warm through out the day. With what you are working with though you could pull the butts and put them in foil pans and keep them wrapped up in a cooler full of old towels and it should stay fairly warm doing that

When I do vendor events, I use turkey roasters and I'll add chicken a little chicken broth to the already pulled pork. I don't have to add much, but a little bit helps and I just stir it occasionally.

Reactions: Muzzy17is and JJS
Thanks for all the help. Pork came out great. Took 13 hours at 225. Reheated in pan with juices from smoke. Had requests from friends to send some samples over and then asked for seconds! Thanks to all once again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky