KCBS Contest Cooker Options

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Johnny Ray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Western, KY
Hello all. I know most here do not compete in KCBS contest but I would still love to hear your opinion to this request.
I competed for several years and retired my team at the end of 2018. I miss competition cooking and cooked my first contest since retiring last weekend. I plan to cook 2 contests per year going forward. Here’s my request for help.
My setup includes pulling my camper to the contest so my cooker(s) must be easily loaded into the back of my truck by myself. I’m leaning toward one of the following 2 setups. Which one of the 2 would you prefer to use or perhaps another setup altogether.
Setup #1
22”WSM with draft control (2 butts, 1 brisket)
26” Weber kettle with SnS (3 slabs of ribs)
22” Weber kettle with SnS (2 small pans of chicken)

Setup #2
Three 26” Weber kettles with SnS ( 1 for brisket, 1 for 2 butts, 1 for 3 slabs of ribs.
22” Weber kettle with SnS for chicken.

I already have a 26” kettle and a 22”. Kettle.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for helping me out.
Edit: to change kettle size from 18” to 22”.

Last edited:
How many drums did you see at the comp last weekend? 10 years ago I would see a few teams using them, now I see teams with 5 or 6 drums. A couple of the highest ranked teams are using drums.

I’d get a “toy hauler “ camper and keep an offset inside

That was my first thought also. Problem as I see it though is a really good quality smoker, even a smaller one, is gonna be heavy and take a lot of horsepower to get in and out of the trailer. In the past though I've used a come-along and/or ratcheting tie down straps to maneuver it back into the trailer. It's work but doable. If it were me, this is the route I'd go but still keep the Weber units as part of the arsenal.

Johnny, you might want to think about a couple other accessories for the Webers. Perhaps a vortex and possibly a rotisserie. Both of those could be invaluable as accompaniments to the kettles you have. The rotisserie might be a bit much but man oh man, you can turn (no pun intended) out some really good stiff with it.

Robert

How many drums did you see at the comp last weekend? 10 years ago I would see a few teams using them, now I see teams with 5 or 6 drums. A couple of the highest ranked teams are using drums.
Drums are certainty an option. I cooked a backyard comp in April using 2. No brisket in the BY contest.
I’ve got to sell some cookers sooner or later. 😀

That was my first thought also. Problem as I see it though is a really good quality smoker, even a smaller one, is gonna be heavy and take a lot of horsepower to get in and out of the trailer. In the past though I've used a come-along and/or ratcheting tie down straps to maneuver it back into the trailer. It's work but doable. If it were me, this is the route I'd go but still keep the Weber units as part of the arsenal.

Johnny, you might want to think about a couple other accessories for the Webers. Perhaps a vortex and possibly a rotisserie. Both of those could be invaluable as accompaniments to the kettles you have. The rotisserie might be a bit much but man oh man, you can turn (no pun intended) out some really good stiff with it.

Robert
Hi Robert. We’ve looked at toy haulers for taking the trike along with us camping but have decided against that route.
I absolutely love cooking on my kettles and that’s kinda why I was leaning toward them. I’ve got a vortex for the 18” and I’m slowly gathering accessories for the 26”.
A rotisserie is definitely on my radar.

Myself.. I think that's BS.. it should be all natural... no electric... same with pellet poopers...That the exact reason why I quit doing comps....

But anyways.. good luck with your adventures ...

Myself.. I think that's BS.. it should be all natural... no electric... same with pellet poopers...That the exact reason why I quit doing comps....

But anyways.. good luck with your adventures ...
So I’m guessing you choose setup #2.

Personally I like setup #2 a little extra room isn't a bad thing and would also be nice when not competing.

Personally I like setup #2 a little extra room isn't a bad thing and would also be nice when not competing.
I think I like setup 2 also. I agree it gives me more flexibility when competing and cooking at home.
Thanks for your input.

I got a pit barrel Jr to take along in my travel trailer. The Jr is a smaller version of their PBC. I use pitmaster iq 110 for temp control. It cooks ribs to perfection.

RG

Attachments

• 20210409_194916.jpg
    20210409_194916.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Johnny Ray
I'd go for option #2 . A lot of cooking area on a 26 " kettle , and they hold heat pretty good . I use the snake method or just bank coals and light accordingly .

Reactions: Johnny Ray
I'd go for option #2 . A lot of cooking area on a 26 " kettle , and they hold heat pretty good . I use the snake method or just bank coals and light accordingly .
They are large and they do cook well.
thanks for the reply.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky