1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Kamado style grills?

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by retfr8flyr, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Anyone else interested in a sub section for Kamado style grills? I think it would be a good addition to the forum if we grouped all the question about Kamado grills in one section. We have sections for many other subjects, why not Kamado grills? I know there are already forums dedicated to them but I think it would be nice for anyone wanting information on them, on this forum, to be able to find it in one spot.

2. cooker613

cooker613 Meat Mopper

I certainly am. I think that’s great idea

3. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

They fall under the charcoal section along with the Webers and such.

Chris

4. smokininidaho

smokininidaho Meat Mopper

I agree that it's a great idea. I've had to go to Kamado Guru for info, would be nice to have a Kamado section here, I have an old Richard Johnson K5 that I'm restoring.
    k53.jpg

noboundaries likes this.
  5. Smokininidaho: that K5 is sick! I have never seen one of those before. What year is that from?

6. smokininidaho

Somewhere around 1995 I believe.

7. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I never knew that Kamado was a Richard Johnson K5. You've answered a question I've had for a while.

We had friends, who have since moved, who were given one. They never got the hang of low n slow, but they nailed hot n fast. It weighed a TON!

8. smokininidaho

Richard Johnson was the owner back then, K5 is just the model #. This one weighs in just over 400lbs. and was a pain to load into my truck. Kamado style cookers originated in Japan I believe. Lots of copies out there now like the Big Green Egg, Akorn by Chargriller and more. They made a K7 model also which was over 500lbs. These are excellent smokers and grills and fuel misers. Here's a pic of a K7.

k7.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018