Just wanted to thank a few people....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

caseaday

Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
I did my first pork shoulder to day after finding this site earlier in the week and, to us, it was fabulous!!

I started with a 4.5 lb boneless shoulder that my wife had picked last weekend for an as yet to be determined dinner.  In the future I will plan on doing a pulled pork or whatever and source out specifi products, but this did very well.

I rubbed it with Billbo's world famous dry rub and wrapped it, put it back in the fridge for about 24 hours.

As I don't yet have a smoker, just my Weber Summit Series Q, I was able to get a decent heat and smoke using 1 burner and some alder and hickory chips.  Nothing at all like a real smoker will produce, but I was gassing big time for this today.
icon_eek.gif

Had a later start to it that I had hoped but got the meat on around 11:00 am.  Got to 165 degrees around 4:00 pm, foiled it and into the oven.  Got to 200 degrees around 6:30 pm.  Towel wrapped it and set it in a cooler while I made some corn bread and some real nice slaw.

Also made Billbo's BBQ sauce with modifications as I like things less sweet and as it turns out I also have a great sauce to do beans in.

Made a simple finishing sauce while I was at it too.

Served dinner around 7:30 to rave reviews from my wife and daughter and fought several times in the day with the puppy as he tried everything he could to get onto the BBQ, or onto the counter/table top/etc to get a piece of what I was cooking.

Anyway, thanks to many of you for your thoughts and suggestions.  I have read through numerous posts and recipes and have many planned for future.

Real nice place you have here!!

Graham

Graham, no pics ...it didn't happen! Just kidding and welcome to SMF.
icon_smile.gif
 Stop by roll call and introduce yourself, your best smoking friend around here besides wood is a camera, OH we like the money shots.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky