JUST GOT BUSTED!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd try the hotplate thing first.  You may have to block off the bottom 1/2 of your UDS.

"Necessity Is The Mother of Invention"!!!

Todd

I bet even with electric they will still complain. I live and smoke in NYC. I bet somone doesnt like the smoke smell and this is a way to make you stop.

I say smoke on!

I agree----MES 40 with AMNS on the side.

I hate to see a woody have to change to watts, but I guess it's either that or move to PA!

We would let you smoke with anything you want, just to get a sample now & then.

Bear

and i am just happy to be able to pee anywhere in my yard at night lol

I lived in an apartment complex like that in Pa. It didn't take me long to make it back to Tn. I got 4 acres I can do any thing I d___ well please on. I can run all 4 smokers at once and burn garbage and brush too. Naked if I want too. I love living in the country. This is how America should be!

Much of PA is like that too. The only house I can see is my son's, and that is only in the Winter when the leaves are off the trees.

It doesn't have to be only at night. 
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

and i am just happy to be able to pee anywhere in my yard at night lol

Well they cant bust me for an electric smoker. I have the written henderson fire dept regulations. Now I just need to figure out what I want. A couple of places already cleared them out for x-mass decorations, it was 101* today.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
 Go figure. Good thing I'm stocked up on pulled pork and beef, bacon, and buckboard bacon or I might have withdrawls.

my second smoker was a bradley electric and i was quite happy with it, easy to use and the wood pucks that go with it come in a lot of variety, they cant harrass you for that

WOOHOO, I think I got an idea. I just might make a 30 gal UDS Watt burner. I found this and just need to call the drum company here locally and get some dimensions.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
 I appreciate all the ideas everyone, but I just love my drum. A AMS is still on my list, just set back a bit till I get this built. I have 2 pork loins in the cure ready for a smoke job on the 3rd, gotta get moving. I think I'll camo paint this one just to irk the neighbors.
icon_razz.gif

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005860510798a.shtml

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that bro, that sucks.

When I first moved to Atlanta I shared an apartment with a buddy and we had it going on - 3rd floor overlooking the pool and the scenery there was amazing.  
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
  My buddy bought a really nice gas grill and put it on our patio and we used it ONCE and the county passed a law the same week that you couldn't have them... we made do with an electric grill but missed the big one.

When I first moved to Atlanta I shared an apartment with a buddy and we had it going on - 3rd floor overlooking the pool and the scenery there was amazing.  
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
  My buddy bought a really nice gas grill and put it on our patio and we used it ONCE and the county passed a law the same week that you couldn't have them... we made do with an electric grill but missed the big one.
I'll have to midnight smoke my CB since my parts wont be here in time. But watch out for my next project!
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Should have been able to keep using it

Grandfather Clause?  
icon_rolleyes.gif

WOOHOO, I think I got an idea. I just might make a 30 gal UDS Watt burner. I found this and just need to call the drum company here locally and get some dimensions.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
 I appreciate all the ideas everyone, but I just love my drum. A AMS is still on my list, just set back a bit till I get this built. I have 2 pork loins in the cure ready for a smoke job on the 3rd, gotta get moving. I think I'll camo paint this one just to irk the neighbors.
icon_razz.gif

That element says 200˚ to 220˚. Isn't that a little low?

I love the Camo idea---I think I recommended that to the guy building the Army Jeep set up.

Bear

That element says 200˚ to 220˚. Isn't that a little low?

I love the Camo idea---I think I recommended that to the guy building the Army Jeep set up.

Bear
Thats pretty much all I could find. It's the replacement for the brinkman which is open along the bottom. I bought my 30 gallon drum today. It's about the same size as a ECB, but I'm not gonna open the bottom up all all hoping that it will get hotter. I might put a ball valve but I want to do a test burn first. I'm thinking with lava rock in the bottom I might be able to retain more heat also. Worse thing I'll just have to smoke smaller pieces.

That sucks man i know your pain, i was in an apartment before my house and they had the same rules and then i had a new braunfels fsb smoker so that never got used and i was steamed!! Some idiot starting their patio on fire has ruined it for people with a brain in their head. I am curious on making your uds electric? Seems like your cheapest way to go.
It's in progress, Now if I can tap into the squealers power, I didn't just say that out loud did I?
rolleyes.gif

meateater,

Maybe you could try the method of Camo that I used to use on my compound & recurved bows. Paint it all one color, like black. Then use two-faced tape or scotch tape rolled up, and stick leaves all over the place (Oak & Maple work best). Then spray the whole thing dull green (as in olive drab). It ends up real neat, OD green with black silhouettes of leaves all over it.

Just a thought,

Bear

Go meat! Ya gotta take some pics! I love the camo idea too. And tapping into the squealers power. Losers. LOL!

639aa45a_loser1.jpg

Quote:
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
icon_razz.gif

meateater-my UDS is a watt burner. The drum is 30 gal. and the element came out of an old Redi-Smok that belonged to my dad-in-law.  Here is my Electric Ugly Drum Smoker build and the first q-view to come off of it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky