Just got back from a cruise - what should I make?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
Good morning all.

My family and I just got back from a 9-day cruise. Although the food on the cruise and on the islands was great; not one BBQ joint to be found! So I am now in need of a 'cue injection (no pun intended).

My question to the group is - what should I make for my family of 4?

Thanks.

Peace.

Reactions: JLeonard
IMHO- Since you probably don't want something complex and difficult (I know when I return from vacation I need some time to adjust) I would go with Ribs or chicken, short cook times and minimal prep.

- Jason

Post a poll with the options you'd like us to choose from.

Assuming no poll incoming - Pork loin

Here's one it may take a little more harvesting for a family of four thou.

Chris

I have never been on a cruise ship, but I still associate the word cruise with a deployment of no less than 6 months 🤣

That said, I always wanted anything except chicken for at least a month post "cruise"

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Good morning Al. Slaw is a great idea! Got any good recipes?
I got this recipe from a woman on here the very first day I joined. It is still the best cole slaw recipe that I have ever had. You can always tweak the ingredients to suit your taste, but for us it’s perfect just the way she wrote it. Hope you enjoy it!
Al
865FD9CA-2574-4FAE-902A-D0880BD3C638.jpeg

A nice t-bone or strip steak, twice baked potato and a small garden salad.

My smokers and grills think that I've deserted them lately, but for me tonight it's St. Louis style ribs. One rack should feed a family of 4, but I'll emphasize "SHOULD". Teens can really put it away sometimes...

Thank you everyone for your comments and ideas. I decided to smoke some chicken thighs and make cole slaw. Thanks Al for the slaw recipe.

I already started to brine the thighs and I'm putting together a new rub 😀. I also got a new injector and a smoke tube. Dontcha love the tiys we get to play with?! So I'll be playing with those tonight as well ✔

Pics to follow.

Peace

I smoked the chicken thighs and then seared them in a pan along with some baby mushrooms.

I made some homemade stuffing as a side. I was planning on slaw, but I didn't like the look of the cabbage at the grocery store.

Pork shoulder for Saturday dinner 😋🐷

Attachments

• 20220804_173130.jpg
    20220804_173130.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220804_174205.jpg
    20220804_174205.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 10
looks great and love coleslaw as well. This is also a great sugar-free recipe.

1 head cabbage (sliced thinly and a small amount grated carrot)
1/3 cup finely chopped onion (I put a whole thinly sliced one in)
3/4 cup mayo (or light mayo)
1/4 cup buttermilk (can use milk) ( I use 1/2 1/2)
1 1/2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. celery seed (or more)
1/2 tsp. salt (Vege-Sal or pinch of)
3 Tbsp. light agave nectar (or 1Tbsp. Pyre)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky