Just got an MES-140S, can I cold smoke lox with this ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gatorbill

Original poster
Sep 17, 2016
Trenton Florida
How low does this smoker go? Also, I bought the A-MAZE-N maze, will the maze generate enough heat to cold smoke below 90 degrees without turning on the smoker?

Have you cold smoked anything in your MES smoker yet? I cold smoke my lox but it is already brined (dry, then wet). Where in the MES were you planning to put the A-MAZE-N tray?

Last edited:
I've smoked lox in my MES, my kettle, my Smoke Vault. & my Lang. It all depends on the outside temp. You don't want the fish to ever get above 90 degrees. It's much easier to smoke lox in the winter.
Al

Have you cold smoked anything in your MES smoker yet? I cold smoke my lox but it is already brined (dry, then wet). Where in the MES were you planning to put the A-MAZE-N tray?

I haven't done it yet, trying to get as much info as possible before I try.

How low does this smoker go? Also, I bought the A-MAZE-N maze, will the maze generate enough heat to cold smoke below 90 degrees without turning on the smoker?

Hi there and welcome!
I cold smoke salmon lox in my MES using the AMNPS and my mailbox mod with the smoker OFF.
I have to wait until late winter to keep a smoker temp of 70F or lower. The AMNPS will generate a little heat and bring the smoker temp up. Generally you don't want a cold smoked item to be in a smoker over 70-75F but be sure to double check me there and read up on it.

One tip about doing this in your MES and using your AMNPS is to get a fan to blow over the vent of the MES to help generate draft to suck the smoke up and through the smoker. If you don't have enough smoke movement in the smoker you can get some stale smoke (yuck) flavor on the salmon and have to mellow it out for a few days. I created a little fan based assist device and eliminated that problem with my salmon lox cold smokes.

I hope this info helps :)

You guys are awesome and unselfish. I appreciate all this great advice. Bill

If it's a little too warm out, try this (below):
5b80101c_DSC01278 copy.JPG

If you just put loose ice in a pan, you'll be adding too much humidity for an MES. That won't happen if you use a Jug with frozen water in it.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky