Just Got a New Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've been using one of these for about four years now. I got it at WalMart, but it seems that somewhere down the line they changed the gauge of metal and the price... or maybe there are several models. Mine is made of roughly the same gauge metal as the Camp Chef model, I live in Logan, UT, home of CC and recently went to check theirs out. I paid a little over $200. for my Smokey Mountain if memory serves me correctly and now Wally is selling them for about $100. could be the difference in metal... Anyway it's been a great little backyard cooker, practice will be necessary at first but it won't be long before you're crankin' out some great Q. Very shortly though I'm moving on to a Traeger. It seems that the KCBS sanctioned events won't let us enter with a gas powered unit... Good luck!

Sampson -

The thing is so dead on I didn't have any adjustment (other than buying propane) to make. It almost feels automatic turn it on wait a few minutes, throw in a few chucks spray and add wood 3 hours later.

It's so easy I amost feel guilty about it.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey debi, thought I'd throw this in here.....the Rytek Kutas book rev 3 was finally published today so your's should show up fairly soon depending on when that company get's their copies.....I just ordered mine from Barnes and Nobel today and it should show up in a couple of days.....
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks Smoked! It's about - time I paid for that book in December. I'm so excited I hope they remember me and send it. I still have the email.
smile.gif

you probably will want to contact them and ask how soon it will be since the book was just published......mine will be sent out on monday....
icon_mrgreen.gif

Hey Debi, just wanted to let you know I got my Smoke Vault today. After all the good things you said about it, I went to my local Sportsman's Warehouse and they had it for $279.00. Got the cover and some pecan chunks too. So, after I get this bad boy seasoned, I have a couple of questions:
1. How many wood chunks should I use in the tray?
2. How many brisket fit in it ?

Man, this thing turned over on the first turn of the knob. I think the flame control may be a little more precise than the GOSM also. I have the smaller original version of the GOSM, so that it going to be my butt cooker, and the SV will be for ribs and brisket. Thanks again Debi!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Congrats Billy! Your gonna love it. I am curious if mine is a lemon (every time I buy something exceptionally good my son calls t a lemon) or if they're all this right on temperature wise.

My chunks are about 2 x 2 x 4 squares so I put about three at a time and it usually last about 3 hours or more.

Depending on the briskets - I like to split mine for pastrami with just the 4 racks I'd say 8 at about 7 - 9 lbs. I ordered another rack just because I hate to waste all that extra space!
icon_biggrin.gif

With full packers (8 - 10 lbs) un-split I'd keep it to one a rack they're pretty thick and wide - might want to stagger them for better smoke and heat flow.

I've never put more than one brisket and one butt per rack. Or two butts per rack or two briskets per rack or two ribs per rack. I like two lay then long ways so I can roll them over easier.

If you do a turkey you can only use four racks because it's so tall bt ribs you can use 5 racks if you lay them flat.

PS it makes a great oven too! Best pies and corn bread I ever ate!
smile.gif

Where did you order your rack from? I called camp chef and they said they didn't have any in stock. I really could use that extra shelf
icon_evil.gif
icon_evil.gif
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm new to the forum and just pulled the trigger on this smoker. I have never smoked food before but am an avid griller. I'm having a party for a friend of mine who is getting back from Iraq
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
. I have purchased 3 12lbs brisket and would like to cook them all at once.

How long do you think it will take to cook the briskets?
(I read an earlier post that said I should stager them in the smoker)

What brand of chips would you recommend for this smoker?

Will a 3/4 full propane tank take me the distance?

Should I get another propane tank to have on hand?
(I just refilled my propane tank and used it for a crawfish boil)

Can I squeeze any chickens, sausage, or ribs in the smoker while I'm cooking the brisket?

Thanks in Advanced,

smu1997

i wouldn't even know where to start not knowing what you have. but running out of fuel is not good so an extra tank is a must, being from texas i'd go w/ pecan or mesquite,if ya got even heat & room- no reason not to do 3 brisquets @ once... ya can always tent & oven (225 for an internal temp 0f 160-180) to finish them...thats as far as i'll go on advice w/out knowing more...

Billy -

Try them again. I just got my rack in yesterday and a cast iron pizza pan. Took about 10 days.

smu1997 -

Te general rule is 1.5 hours per pound BUT you could hit the pleatu and it could take alot longer. I don't thonk you'll have that problem with a 3.5 lber though. Just keep check the internal temperature!

I don't know that brand makes much of a difference. I buy my Mequete from Walmart, alhough most of my hickory is from local trees everything else I get is trimming from the last season of fruit trees.

3/4 tank should get you there and then some. Depending on your smoker it could get you 20 to 30 hours. My Camp Chef has giving me about 50 hours on a tank. I would always keep a second tamk on hand just in case whether your grilling, smoking or brewing! Nothing worse than running out of fuel. Unless it's running out of meat!
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

You can pretty much smoke anything together it doesn't matter it's all about temperatures. Chicken cook alot faster so watch it. Also watch were you put stuff ... you might not like some flavors mixing - say crabs and chickens ...

Seeing chickens cok quicker and can be cooked at higher temperatures I put mine at the top of the smoker. That's my quick change shelf, chicken, fatties, biskets, rolls etc.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice. I bought the Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoker at amazon. So the propane that I have should last long enough.

I'm thinking the top shelf of the Smoker I'll put chickens and fatties. The bottom three shelfs I'll stager the briskets.

Thanks for all your help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky