Just Got a Big Green Egg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikewmorgan

Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I have been smoking for a long time - chicken, turkey, brisket, pork butt, fish, etc., using a charcoal/water smoker.  Now I have "graduated" to a Big Green Egg, and today did my first smoke (two chickens).

I guess I need some help, because the chickens did not have anywhere close to the degree of smoke flavor I got from the charcoal/water smoker.  Can anyone give me some pointers?

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from so so day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Welcome Mike, glad ya joined us ! I'd start another thread with your BGE issue, probably get more responses that way !

Hey Mike, I just joined this group and saw your BGE question.  I've been egging for 5 years now, I might be able to help.  Were you using chips or chunks?  If chucks how many and how long were they in the fire before the chickens went on?

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...

To get more smoke you need to burn more wood.
Happy smoken.
David

I was using chunks, soaked.  I guess I put maybe 15 chunks on top of the charcoal.  They were in the fire when it was first lit.

Welcome to the site. Never had a problem with BGE drying anything out. Normally when I cook low and slow on it mine is dripping mousture. I am one of the oddballs that uses the daisy wheel to control the temperature. Last Tri Tip I smoked the Daisy wheel was dripping.

They were pretty big mostly.  It's hard to tell if they were completely consumed.  I think they were for the most part, but I think a lot of them look like charcoal now.  There are a couple of the larger ones that still show a little of the wood color.

If your on Face Book there is/was a Big Green Egg group there also for more info on them. I don't have one but have enjoyed reading what they had to say there in the past. Give that a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky