Just Curious!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, just wondering and maybe it’s just me…

I love this forum and have made some very good friends on here… friends I’d have never met if not for SMF! I am a blessed man for the friends I have made here…

So here is my question…. In some ways I feel the “like” has gotten to be kinda the new thing! Not bad, it used to be points…

But for example, if someone does a thread that is beyond phenomenal and has awesome pics… is that not worthy to take 2 minutes to drop a line along with the ‘like’ ? I am not talking about anyone in particular….

Maybe I am just an old fart and should keep quiet… but thought I’d ask anyway?

But for example, if someone does a thread that is beyond phenomenal and has awesome pics… is that not worthy to take 2 minutes to drop a line along with the ‘like’ ? I am not talking about anyone in particular….
I agree, and I always try to drop a line, however I have been guilty of “drive-by likes”. Just not typical for me.

I almost always follow a like with a reply. If I see a post worth a like. I'll take a minute, or more. To explain why. Unless it was meant to be a quick like and carry on, nothing to see here. IE, a joke or funny picture.

I am guilty also after seeing post I made just getting likes and no comment, I am only on in the early morning, so getting ready to run out the house really fast to get my treatment. I will leave a like and forget to go back so I apologize.
Richie

I totally agree with what you are saying Justin. 99% of the time I always leave a like or wow etc and than also a comment.

I still consider myself new to this great forum, and thought it was just proper to if you enjoyed the post or learned from it than say so and that is how I thought it was done right from the start.

Sometimes I wish I could spend more time on here ,because I do miss some posts and try to go back and see what I missed.
So I guess what I am saying is I am with you on this.

And on another note , I like to see where people are from , that is just the nosie part of me. I wish everyone would say in their name plaque, it would be nice to see that. Not everyone fills in this . I don't need your home address just the State, Province, or even country. Like mine a little spot on the map NS. Canada

David

I aint much of a wordsmith and do quick drive by's as I get a minute, other folks phrase stuff better or the same as I would, not much need being a repeater lol. It doesn't mean less than if I had posted a whole page of slobber I still think a lot about the cook or comments enough to respond, just my .02

Hey old fart I totally agree with you, but I also understand some people aren't comfortable with posting messages on a public forum. I'm ok with that.

Chris

Hidden message here:
Point for sure

And on another note , I like to see where people are from , that is just the nosie part of me. I wish everyone would say in their name plaque, it would be nice to see that. Not everyone fills in this . I don't need your home address just the State, Province, or even country. Like mine a little spot on the map NS. Canada

David
David

There have been multiple requests from me as well as other members regarding this query. The requests were never meant to infringe or intrude into anyone's personal lives. Just merely some general information as to which part of the world they were from.

Well, it always created much discussion and arguments from "Mind your own business" to "Big Brother is watching" and "Someone may steal my identity". Some people are just too paranoid to share their location with others.

I hope this helps,

John

Reactions: chopsaw
There have been multiple requests from me as well as other members regarding this query. The requests were never meant to infringe or intrude into anyone's personal lives. Just merely some general information as to which part of the world they were from.
Yes John I remember the post, and that is how I thought about it also. Just wondering where everyone roughly lived.
Was not trying to stir the pot with others . Just a friendly where you from . like wow it must be awful hot to be grilling/smoking in Florida/Texas or Way too f..ing cold in Manitoba/Nova Scotia to be cooking outside . Just in general information

I will stop now , Do not want to hijack Justin's Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ post

David

Hey all, just wondering and maybe it’s just me…

I love this forum and have made some very good friends on here… friends I’d have never met if not for SMF! I am a blessed man for the friends I have made here…

So here is my question…. In some ways I feel the “like” has gotten to be kinda the new thing! Not bad, it used to be points…

Maybe I am just an old fart and should keep quiet… but thought I’d ask anyway?
Justin,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. When the "points" were in existence it gave members an opportunity to offer deserved accolades to others for a job well done and was an indication as to who "knew their stuff". But, unfortunately, from what I understood and somewhat to my confusion, it turned into some sort of "competition", so the points were discontinued. I always thought the points were a better indication as to who to turn to for sound advice.

The "likes" however, in my opinion, have kind of found their niche. In this present day of instant gratification (which is witnessed so often on social media) they seem to fit in well.

Don't get me wrong, I have received several and in most cases they have been accompanied by a short note of appreciation for which I am extremely grateful.

Points or Likes. . . .There are a lot of great people here giving them out.

John

Last edited:
I hear ya, and agree. I love seeing everyone's results and I try to comment along with my likes. It's clear that many people take the time to document these cooks in detail and those folks care enough to do that for us. The least I can do is show them with a like and a sincere word of appreciation. It takes time and effort for them to make these posts and I certainly appreciate it.

Reactions: BandCollector
So, after seeing some of the responses… I can understand the other side of the spectrum! I didn’t start this thread as a point the finger to anyone and if it was taken that way… my apologies! I was more just curious! Thanks to those who have responded!

I figure if I’m late to the thread as I usually am, I just leave a like as everything that can be said about a post has been said. Just my way of not saying something stupid but letting people know it’s a great post or picture.

So, after seeing some of the responses… I can understand the other side of the spectrum! I didn’t start this thread as a point the finger to anyone and if it was taken that way… my apologies! I was more just curious! Thanks to those who have responded!
No apologies necessary. Your curiosity was well justified.

John

Reactions: Ringer
I agree. It’s far more common on Facebook groups though. Heck on some groups I post on I have literally got over 500 likes with 1 comment lol. Here I try to always drop a line.

I thought about this a few times:
I appreciate the nice comments more than the Likes, but I understand that if you want to get to a lot of threads, you can't do comments on all of them.
I put comments on almost ALL of the threads I get to, but I miss a lot that way too.
I only made one change in the way I do things here----I have recently stopped "Thanking" people who just hit the "Like" button, Mainly because it's such a PITA going through the whole list to pick out those who gave a Like without a comment.

Bear

I agree it's a good thread Justin! Does help understand things a bit better. I try to leave comments, to me it's not only showing appreciation to the OP for posting but the way I've gotten to know some of the people here and have never met.

Ryan

Reactions: Ringer
For me personally, I don't post a lot here any more but I do check in now and then and when I see something that inspires me I hit the like button. That alone is enough of a message for me and a comment isn't always required.

I do not believe in thanking people for their likes. To me, that is just adding to the post count and constantly brining the thread back to the top of the page without adding any new information. I appreciate the likes received and I know those I give likes to appreciate them as well without posting about it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky