just curious !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneck5236

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
I am just curious ! has anyone ever smoke a canned ham ?? the holidays find me thinking of childhood holidays . my dad passed away in the mid seventies when i was young and my mother passed away nine years ago,! anyhow when i was young my mother always baked a canned ham for christmas and easter ! i was in my late teeens before i relized there was any other kind of hams ! i have not had a canned ham in probaly forty years ! i was thinking about them the other day and the idea of smoking one popped in my head ! so now i am curious and think i might try one after the holiays ! mom always coated and basted them with a mixture of honey brown sugar and pineapple juice ! think i will do the same in th smoker ! any thoughts or sugestions?

mom always coated and basted them with a mixture of honey brown sugar and pineapple juice ! think i will do the same in th smoker ! any thoughts or sugestions?
I think it's a great idea . Did a quick search , no canned ham , but this might be help .

When I was growing up my parents made the exact same thing. Canned ham with brown sugar and pineapple slices. I didn't even know there were other hams. I thought they were all canned.

lol on the video clip ! me and the wife were just talking about this movie the other night ! have not watched it this year yet but we will ! I am a a tim allen fan love last man standing !

Go for it and do a post on it can't see why not.

Warren
defintley going to do one but not til after the holidays ! I will post it ! January and February are my boring months . so that's when I do my experimentations !

I've done a few of them, mostly to make smoked ham salad.

Chris

When I was growing up my parents made the exact same thing. Canned ham with brown sugar and pineapple slices. I didn't even know there were other hams. I thought they were all canned.
Same here! It wasn't until I was living in the South as a teenager that I tasted a true cured and smoked ham. Haven't opened a canned ham since then. But, the vast majority of hams available in my area are pork injected with cure then heated/cooked to pasteurize.

Maybe I don't look for them, but I can't recall seeing canned hams at the grocery store. Wouldn't even know where to look for one.

Reactions: sawhorseray
We have a meat shoot here. You can win a turkey or canned ham. They arent bad. Never smoked on thou. I am sure it will be good.

I am just curious ! has anyone ever smoke a canned ham ?? the holidays find me thinking of childhood holidays . my dad passed away in the mid seventies when i was young and my mother passed away nine years ago,! anyhow when i was young my mother always baked a canned ham for christmas and easter ! i was in my late teeens before i relized there was any other kind of hams ! i have not had a canned ham in probaly forty years ! i was thinking about them the other day and the idea of smoking one popped in my head ! so now i am curious and think i might try one after the holiays ! mom always coated and basted them with a mixture of honey brown sugar and pineapple juice ! think i will do the same in th smoker ! any thoughts or sugestions?
Both my Mamaw and my Mamaw cooked the canned ham often when I was a kid. It always had pineapple slices and cherries stuck all over it. It was dang good !!!

They are still available every where. Now you have me wanting to smoke one. Mine will have pineapple and cherries stuck all over it just like Mamaw and Momma did back in the day. LOL!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky