Just a few questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kfactor

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
sk can
I was just wonder I just use wood in my side fire box and when ever I smoke my food allways gets so dark it almost looks burnt but its not what could be making it look so dark

Last edited:
It is hard to say without knowing what you are cooking ,what temp, what kind of wood you are using. If you could post a picture of your smoker and some of the black food it may help.

I will post pick of my smoker. I have only done ribs / fatty / and just tried some wings. I let my smoker burn for about 30 mins befor putting anything on and wait for a thin blue smoke . I usually burn Maple ribs I cook at 300 same with my fattys . All my foods turn out very dark all most looks burnt but it doesn't tast burnt

What are you putting on the Meat? Sucrose in White and Brown Sugars Caramelize and get dark at 320*F but the Fructose in Honey and Fruit Juices Caramelize at 230*F. So if you Mop/Spritz at the 300+*F temp or you have frequent spikes over 320*F, your meat will get dark. The other issue is Creosote from the Wood. You said you are getting TBS but is that consistent? Are you pre-burning the wood and just adding Coals or adding cold sticks on the existing fire? Is the wood you are using sufficiently seasoned and dry or is it recently cut and still green? All of these can contribute to Creosote and black food...JJ 

I allways do a brown suger rub on my ribs anyways . I cook my ribs around 300 do u think am to hot ? I cook them for about 3 hours and I don't get consistent blue clear smoker but when I add wood to my fire I get white smoke at first till it starts burning but I only add small splits to it so it lights faster . And the wood has been siting for a long time so am sure it's seasoned . Am also think maybe the smoke is staying in the cook chamber to long ? And not venting right could that also contribute to dark looking food ?

My guess is it is too much smoke...You may want to use some lump along with the wood, make sure that you have thin blue smoke most of the time cooking.  You can also foil, after several hours to help with the dark appearance.  I had the same problem with ribs and chicken...If I was not real careful they would get too dark ( not burned just too much smoke on them)  One reason I purchased a Ys 640 to do my ribs and chick on at contests.

Too much brown sugar in the rub and you are cooking at 300°. Lose the brown sugar, use turbinado sugar, AKA sugar in the raw or Demerara sugar , because it better withstands the heat.

IMHO you should be cooking ribs between 250°-275° for best results.

Thanks for all the feed back guys and I will try different suger and lower temps and I have never used lump yet can I just put it right in the fire as its going and what's a good lump or is it all the same

Here Kfactor , this will help you out of the darkness...
biggrin.gif
  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/stickburning101

Have fun and as always ...

Three Hundred degrees is ok but spikes can cause the Brown Sugar to get dark. The good venting and turn over of smoke is also important. Many guys heat their splits to get them hot enough to start burning clean faster. Here is some info that will help...JJ

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/stickburning101

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky