Jumping In

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slideman

Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
West Virginia
Hello everyone,  I just purchase my Masterbuit 30" electric.  I got it last night and will smoke a 6.5 lb brisket in the morning.  I've watched Jeff's videos and I've read everything I could find in the forums, so I'm jumping in with both feet.  I'll start first thing in the morning.  I just finished getting my smoker broke in, so wish me luck.  This meal is for my wifes b-day tomorrow, and will be my first attempt at smoking anything!

Best of luck to you. What are your plans. Rubbing tonight, What temp and what finishing temp are you looking for. Are you going to inject at all or foil? Make sure you take pictures. Sounds like you have done your homework. Just don't get to worried just sit back and let the smoker do the work and wait for it to come up to the correct internal temp. Its done when the thermometer says it is. You do have a thermometer right?

Good luck friend!! We'll be here if you have any questions along the way. Be weary of white bellowing smoke, thats not what you want! Remember if you can smell it, its working!!

Make sure and verify your cooking temps in the mes.

Some have been known to be off high and low .

A small palm full of chips at a time is plenty.

Run your exhaust vent wide open and make sure and foil your water pan and drip pan before you start.

good luck with the Q. and congrats on getting a smoker.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Good luck, sounds like you have everything covered. If you run into any problems were here to help.

I'm 3 hours into this smoke and my shirt already smells good enought to eat.  I appreciate everyones help and have utilized all of your tips...Thanks so much!

Hey guys, I'm noe 6 hrs into this brisket.  It is 6.5 lbs and I just checked it with my meat thermometer and registered 146 degrees.  Should I just keep on, keepin on?

Slideman, I know this is a tad late for the question, but I hope you left it in a bit longer.

Hopefully you just found yourself in a stall

9 - 10 hours shouldn't be too long to come to temp

Welcome to the SMF, and congrats on your new MES. Be sure and have a meat probe to check internal temps, am consider the fact that factory therms are not always accurate in regards to rack/grate level temps. It's all good my friend.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Welcome Slideman

Glad to have you here with us- be sure to post up some qview of that smoke

Slideman, we are glad to have you here with us at SMF, may I make a few suggestions that might help you out?  1) Sign up for the FREE 5 Day E-Course Jeff offers, I had been smoking meat for about 6 years when I got it and I really learned a lot from it, things I thought I already knew.  2) Use the Search Bar near the top of the page and the WIKI Section as I assume you have already done, there is an answer to about any question you might have.  3) In the WIKI Section under A there is a list of Acronyms, print off a copy and keep it near your computer, it will help you understand some of our "lingo" as you go along.  4) Probably the most important thing I can say is this, the only dumb question you can ask here is the one you do not ask!  Again, we are glad to have you with us, I am sure we can help you and that you can help us.

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky